Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Current - 2021 Salt Marsh Heron 18
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, New member here. Been talking to Ankona and i'm really thinking on putting a deposit down and having a Heron 18 built. The quality and care they show for their work is unmatched for their price range imo. Any owners out there? would love to hear some feedback on the boat, maybe share some stats. Top speed, motor choice, prop pitch, drafts, and ect... Thank you!

·
Fly Fishing Shaman
6,383 Posts
Hey Austin, I don't own one but if I was in the market for a new boat, they are a great value. I've seen one on display at a boat show and talked to Mel about it and for the price and what it does, it brings a lot to the table for the price (if you are in that price range).

We've had multiple disscussions and threads about both the 16 & 18 Heron here on microskiff.com under the forums of General Discussion and the Bragging Spot. You can go up top on those pages and do a search to find out more and read what everyone has to say about them.

On another note, if you are not quite sure what to do, you may look at an older skiff in great condition. Since this whole pandemic thing started, there will be some boats on the market that will be a deal since people are trying to recover financially. So you may find a bargin and just run that for a while and see if this sort of boat fits your needs the most before you pull the trigger on a new boat. And if it's exactly what you want and need, then sell your used boat (probably get your money back because the economy will be doing better then) and then make your deal on your new boat.

How long have you been in LaBelle? I know that little town all too well. ;)

·
Ankona Sales Rep
2021 Ankona Advent
2,963 Posts
I've seen one on display at a boat show and talked to ***Hal*** about it and for the price and what it does, it brings a lot to the table for the price (if you are in that price range).
Mel...wrong skiff company owner. Lol. Got Austin hooked up. he's gonna love his new Heron 18 in a few months.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a Heron 18 that I’ve had for approximately 2 months, I have a Yamaha 70TLR 2 stroke on mine with a 55lbs motorguide Xi5 trolling motor. If you are interested in anything let me know. I would say it is a 8-9” draft boat depending on how it is rigged and the load. With the 70 I can get 37-38 mph at WOT in the right water conditions. Have had it in some pretty nasty stuff and it is impressively dry and has a good ride considering the size and style of the boat. If you are looking for the shallowest draft and not concerned about top speed go with a 60. If performance is more important go with a 90. I have run it side by side with one with a F70 four stroke Yamaha and can’t tell Much difference other than how it sits in the water. If you have any specific questions let me know

·
Registered
Current - 2021 Salt Marsh Heron 18
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a Heron 18 that I’ve had for approximately 2 months, I have a Yamaha 70TLR 2 stroke on mine with a 55lbs motorguide Xi5 trolling motor. If you are interested in anything let me know. I would say it is a 8-9” draft boat depending on how it is rigged and the load. With the 70 I can get 37-38 mph at WOT in the right water conditions. Have had it in some pretty nasty stuff and it is impressively dry and has a good ride considering the size and style of the boat. If you are looking for the shallowest draft and not concerned about top speed go with a 60. If performance is more important go with a 90. I have run it side by side with one with a F70 four stroke Yamaha and can’t tell Much difference other than how it sits in the water. If you have any specific questions let me know
Thanks for the reply, I went ahead and made a deposit a few months ago just to secure a spot in the build line. It wasn’t till last week I finally has the pleasure of riding in one for the first time and all I can say is I want one twice as bad now! I will be more geared towards performance so I chose the Suzuki 90. The only thing I’m having trouble with deciding thats driving me crazy is a color scheme.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts