Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a Heron 18 anywhere near Mobile AL? I'm on the list to have one built and plan on making a trip to Ft Pierce to see one first hand and also see the shop before I fully commit. Just wondering if there is one closer to Mobile that I could see in person?

·
Ankona Sales Rep
2,936 Posts
I'm pretty positive there isn't one in your area. You will love the skiff. It is amazing. We are having a demo day on 6/22 in the Tampa area and I am sure there will be an 18 there. It is 3 hours closer than going to Ft. Pierce.

Reactions: CPurvis and OED

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm pretty positive there isn't one in your area. You will love the skiff. It is amazing. We are having a demo day on 6/22 in the Tampa area and I am sure there will be an 18 there. It is 3 hours closer than going to Ft. Pierce.
Where at?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. If I can’t make it to Ft Pierce before then I may try to make it to the demo day. Are there any in the Florida Panhandle that you know of?

I think it will be a good fit for what I’m looking for. Had a Pathfinder 2000v and looking to downsize to something I can store in the garage but still handle some open water on good to decent weather days. I fish a lot in the MS Sound and Mobile Bay along with our local tidal rivers / marsh.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Garage door is 9ft wide x 7 ft tall. Garage is 24 wide by almost 28 deep. Realistically have ~26 ft for the length on a trailer. Based on the dimensions I got from Rose it should easily fit.

·
Ankona Sales Rep
2,936 Posts
Thanks for the info. If I can’t make it to Ft Pierce before then I may try to make it to the demo day. Are there any in the Florida Panhandle that you know of?

I think it will be a good fit for what I’m looking for. Had a Pathfinder 2000v and looking to downsize to something I can store in the garage but still handle some open water on good to decent weather days. I fish a lot in the MS Sound and Mobile Bay along with our local tidal rivers / marsh.
I do not know of any in the Panhandle. Based on your dimensions that you said your garage is, you'll have no problem getting one in your garage. I'm envious. If I could fit one in my garage, I'd have one already for sure.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
463 Posts
Garage door is 9ft wide x 7 ft tall. Garage is 24 wide by almost 28 deep. Realistically have ~26 ft for the length on a trailer. Based on the dimensions I got from Rose it should easily fit.
Jealous of your length! Haha. The only thing would be the poling platform or PowerPole (if applicable) clearing the garage door. If the garage door is 7' tall, the opening won't be quite 7' tall.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cor
Jealous of your length! Haha. The only thing would be the poling platform or PowerPole (if applicable) clearing the garage door. If the garage door is 7' tall, the opening won't be quite 7' tall.
Correct. I have like 82 inches or so of height. Poling platform isn’t an issue and likely won’t do a power pole.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Planning a trip to the Salt Marsh shop in a couple of weeks and thinking through details on how I might have an 18 Heron setup. Any thoughts on trolling motors, both shaft length recommended, and 12v vs 24v motors? Leaning towards a 12v 55lb thrust 54” shaft. Most likely a motorguide with pinpoint gps. Any input on xi3 vs xi5? Had a xi5 on my Pathfinder and really liked it. I’d really like to minimize batteries and usually fish with the wind at my back and don’t have to fight a lot of current so I’m thinking the 12v should be plenty but would like to hear feedback from anyone using a 12v system on similar boats.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
289 Posts
Planning a trip to the Salt Marsh shop in a couple of weeks and thinking through details on how I might have an 18 Heron setup. Any thoughts on trolling motors, both shaft length recommended, and 12v vs 24v motors? Leaning towards a 12v 55lb thrust 54” shaft. Most likely a motorguide with pinpoint gps. Any input on xi3 vs xi5? Had a xi5 on my Pathfinder and really liked it. I’d really like to minimize batteries and usually fish with the wind at my back and don’t have to fight a lot of current so I’m thinking the 12v should be plenty but would like to hear feedback from anyone using a 12v system on similar boats.
I would recommend a 24v system, you just wont get near the run time with a 12v as you would with the 24v. If weight is a major concern you can go lithium and get one 24v battery that weighs 39lbs. Even my friend with an Ankona SUV 17 switched to a 24v Terrova as the 12v had maybe 2-3hrs of run time before you could no longer make headway in wind/current.

·
Ankona Sales Rep
2,936 Posts
It really depends on how much of the time you will be running trolling motor. If you think it is going to be 50% or more, I'd go with a 24v system. The Heron 18 is a heavier skiff than the rest of the lineup so it is going to need a little more push.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts