Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to post on here and see if anyone had any advice on pole length for this boat. I am 6'3" so I thought maybe a 21'.

I fish POC and Port Mansfield mostly. I appreciate any feedback provided!

·
Registered
223 Posts
I use a 21’ on my Saltmarsh 1444 and its ideal. I’m not an expert but my experience is; polling from cooler: 17’+ , polling from platform; 20’+ , polling in 4-6’ of water(tarpon) 24’ish

If you are buying a new heron, I got a great price on the moonlighter carbon pole that was tough to beat. I’m very pleased with it, it’s lighter and just as stiff as a stiffy hybrid. The only thing is if you pole in deeper water you might want a heavier pole. I use it in 6’+ Freshwater fishing but you have to shoot it down fairly hard to get traction

·
Registered
46 Posts
I’ve got a Heron 16 with a 20’ Stiffy Hybrid and no trolling motor, so I’m poling or drifting. The 20’ length does really well in skinny water and a sand or grass bottom. However, I run out of pole at times fishing over soft mud. Also, when poling in 3-5 ft. of water, I could pole more efficiently (smaller angle relative to the bottom) if I had 3-4 ft. of extra pole. I’m in the process of getting my pole extended to 23’.

I suggest going with 23-24 ft. Even if you fish shallow most of the time, you’ll be placing the pole less often, and you’ll be able to pole in deeper water if you need to.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Perfect, that helps quite a bit. I figured a longer pole would be a smart decision. I will likely go that route.

jwaddiso

I would be interested in hearing how you like the heron 16. Where you fish and overall how it performs.

·
Ankona Sales Rep
2,879 Posts
Get the longest pole you can store. Longer pole equals less pushes from point A to point B and you can keep the foot or stake in the water more when pushing instead of pulling it out and breaking the surface...which could spook fish.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea, that is what I will do. I thought that might be the answer but wanted to get some feedback.

Much appreciated!

·
Registered
46 Posts
CKEAT,

The Heron is a really good boat and I'd be happy to chat about it (phone or messaging). PM me either way. Also, I've been meaning to put together a build thread with the all the photos from the build and add-ons. I'll work on that.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good
A longer push pole is good for calm days and deeper water, but since he is fishing the windy shallow bays of Texas the 21' is more suited for that purpose. I like windy days, but don't take my word for it, call Kevin Shaw at Stiffy.
Good point, thanks for throwing that out there!

·
Ankona Sales Rep
2,879 Posts
A longer push pole is good for calm days and deeper water, but since he is fishing the windy shallow bays of Texas the 21' is more suited for that purpose.
I can always stand to learn something new.....so how does a longer pole, say 24', inhibit poling efficiency in shallow water on windy days? My though process is that with a longer pole, you can have a decreased entry angle and can make short, subtle pushes without having to walk your hands up and down.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is good info.

I have a bay boat (many reasons why over a skiff) but I am now in a position to have both and I fly fish almost exclusively so it will help me a ton. I usually carry diablo kayaks on bay boat out to the flats and drop them off and pole those around. Lots of work involved there.

Glad to be finally getting a skiff and glad to have a forum to acquire some useful info. Thank you all.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I poled the old BT many a mile with a 20 foot pole. Next pole will be 21 and no longer.

1) Some docks and ramps are already tight with a 20 foot pole strapped to the skiff. Now add another 4 foot to that and things can get really tight.

2) And on a 24 footer I would darn sure have a red flag hanging off the end when trailering. I was always waiting to get the pole hit at a stop light. Never happened but it could.

3) On the other hand, a 24 footer would be better for reaching out and nudging stingrays.

Reactions: sjrobin

·
Ankona Sales Rep
2,879 Posts
I pole into the wind a lot in Texas in order to keep the sun. When I do that I don't use much of the pole, maybe three feet. So any extra length is just more weight to lift and plant.
I have a 21' Stiffy Extreme so I have yet to find a situation where the lift and plant is an issue when poling. I do not have a 24' only because I cannot store it.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
3) On the other hand, a 24 footer would be better for reaching out and nudging stingrays.
By nudge I’m sure you mean gently poking them with the pointy end until you pole is deeply embedded so you can safely fling them as far as you can...points awarded for distance and style, of course.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
83 Posts
I’ve always went by the “skiff plus three rule”. However long your skiff is add three feet and that’s a pretty solid ratio.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think I am going to go for the 22 stiffy guide series. Light and great reviews.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts