Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping I can get some insightful information to help me decide between the two. I currently fish the flats of mosquito lagoon and thousand islands with an ascend kayak. In the market to purchase my first boat. I would be fishing mostly solo but will take wife and 2 yr old daughter out to island every once in a while or my dad will be joining me on the flats. Which of the two would be ideal for those circumstances keeping in mind majority of fishing will be done solo? I like the fact that the lt25 can be customized with 4 hatches for storage. Want to keep it as bare bones as possible. Poling platform, tiller, trolling motor and enough storage to keep hull and deck free to move around as much as possible. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Also, would like to take out mile or two offshore when weather permits.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Are you referring to the Heron 16? Even if the 1656, I’d vote Salt Marsh. Great boats and great company. You’ll be happier with a wife and young child on board vs the LT25, in my opinion.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, I was referring to the salt marsh 1656. Any particular reason I’ll be happier with Them on board the 1656v?

·
Registered
423 Posts
Sm 1656. Gheenoe with kids would be a pain. I have a 1656 and use in lagoon etc.
Also take my family of 4 and dog to island. Nice having the stability with kids.
Going solo is easy as well and the wide stern keeps you from squatting when poking solo.
Gheenoe will by far be the more affordable choice.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Sorry, I was referring to the salt marsh 1656. Any particular reason I’ll be happier with Them on board the 1656v?
More stable, more room, more freeboard. Will feel safer and more secure.

Also, I could be wrong here, but I believe the LT25 is a chopper gun boat. The Ankona line is hand laid. And I want to say the Salt Marsh boats incorporate Kevlar. @Shadowcast should be able to confirm or refute my assumptions.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
More stable, more room, more freeboard. Will feel safer and more secure.

Also, I could be wrong here, but I believe the LT25 is a chopper gun boat. The Ankona line is hand laid. And I want to say the Salt Marsh boats incorporate Kevlar. @Shadowcast should be able to confirm or refute my assumptions.
Yes, I did read they incorporate Kevlar

·
Registered
310 Posts
i Love my gheenoe classic, very similar to an lt 25. I fish solo 95% of the time and sneak around with a trolling motor and a fly rod most of the time. Used you could get a great lt 25 for 5kish. 10k new. If you really want something that poles well and handles chop the salt marsh heron would be awesome the price point closer to 20k. The Ankona shadow cast is smaller won’t handle chop as well but poles awesome and there are enough of them on the used market for under 15k

1 - 11 of 11 Posts