Salt Marsh 1444 flats/duck boat

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RightCoastMo, Dec 5, 2017.

1. RightCoastMo

RightCoastMo Active Member

So, I'm tossing around the idea of building a 1444 with the intention of running a mud motor in the winter for waterfowl hunting, and an outboard the rest of the year for protected water and flats fishing. Anybody have experience building a multi-purpose boat like this? Is transom height going to be an issue for the different types of motors? Any input is greatly appreciated.

2. bjtripp83

bjtripp83 I Love microskiff.com!

Look thru posts from paint it black

RightCoastMo and paint it black like this.

3. paint it black

paint it black Paddling away...

RightCoastMo likes this.
  4. RightCoastMo

That's a great looking rig. I took bjtripp's advice and found an old thread with your build on it. Looks like we hunt some of the same areas.
    How has the hull held up for you with the longtail and your buddy with the SD? My plan is a copperhead SD, either 18 or 23 horse. Any transom cracks for either of you? Also, are you happy with the amount of space on the boat for a few hunters with gear? And my last question, did you end up using a coating such as gatorglide or similar products? Thanks in advance.

5. paint it black

The hull has held up perfectly, I haven't had any issues at all. No transom cracks on either skiff. I am happy with it, we hunt three adults on board with no issues.
    Granted, when doable, we sometimes get set up a stool outside the skiff and hunt from outside the skiff in waders. Doable is most places, not really necessary.

I haven't put any frogspit or anything like that on the hull bottom, but my buddy did on his. He's getting 23-25mph out of his with the 25hp surface drive. I'm seeing 19-20MPH with 2 adults and all gear with the long tail. I like my backwater as it will get me through a lot more than a surface drive. It's not as fast, but I can get through anything. And the Backwater Inc long tail isn't really that long, about 5' long.

Let me see if I find pics of his and i'll post them here in this thread.

6. GullsGoneWild

GullsGoneWild I Love microskiff.com!

7. RightCoastMo

Paint it black, good to hear that the hulls have held up so well. That was my main concern. Yeah I normally prefer to hunt outside of the boat on stools anyway when feasible.
    Now after checking out the Backwater Inc, I'm torn between that and the Copperhead. Especially considering that most of my hunts don't involve long runs or big water.
    Pics of the SD rig would be great if you have them on hand and I thank you for sharing info on the build.

8. RightCoastMo

For some reason it's saying I'm not authorized to view the media that you posted.

9. GullsGoneWild

GullsGoneWild I Love microskiff.com!

that's strange. these pics are on my MS profile. Click my user name and then click the media tab, scroll down till you get to the SM pics. We looked like the Clampetts moving to Beverly Hills that morning

10. RightCoastMo

Yessssss, haha. I've been on hunts where I felt like the Clampetts. Usually in an overloaded canoe with way more stuff than we needed.

11. paint it black

Here are a few pics of my buddy’s rig.

568E7061-7C7E-4B93-969C-3241E525EA32.jpeg
    E0AF5390-14A2-4E33-AA63-36C1B00A5B83.jpeg
    A21574E6-E73D-4C0D-97AD-0D45760B28DB.jpeg

12. tjtfishon

tjtfishon Well-Known Member

You don't have the permission set for public

13. RightCoastMo

14. paint it black

No, the platform isn’t in the way at all, I can turn completely. The only thing it restricts is being able to flip the motor around for travel.

RightCoastMo likes this.
  15. Backcountry 16

Backcountry 16 Well-Known Member

Nice artwork as usual Eric, sweet hunting machine.

paint it black likes this.
  16. RightCoastMo

Hey Eric, was there an advantage to mounting that versa mount bracket for the backwater on the inside of the transom rather than out?