Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know anything about this reel, good or bad? It's on sale and I have a gift card burning a hole in my pocket. Just looking for a cheap 5/6 for trout and reds.

·
Fly-By-Night
3,138 Posts
Anybody know anything about this reel, good or bad? It's on sale and I have a gift card burning a hole in my pocket. Just looking for a cheap 5/6 for trout and reds.
Never fished one but played around a lot with a 10wt my buddy got recently, reel looks really nice for the price. Drag feels pretty smooth and strong as well. He got the lime colored one.

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Never fished one but played around a lot with a 10wt my buddy got recently, reel looks really nice for the price. Drag feels pretty smooth and strong as well. He got the lime colored one.
Thanks. I think I'm going to pull the trigger on it unless someone posts some serious horror stories in the next day or so.

·
Registered
828 Posts
It is a trout reel so it is not as vital as a reel for saltwater where fish will be consistently taking you into the backing so drag and quality are not as important IMO. It is more important to have a good reel carp fishing than trout fishing in my experience. The exception to that is if you are a serious trout angler and you will be fishing in freezing conditions, in those conditions when line, guides etc quickly freeze quality is paramount!

·
Fly-By-Night
3,138 Posts
It is a trout reel so it is not as vital as a reel for saltwater where fish will be consistently taking you into the backing so drag and quality are not as important IMO. It is more important to have a good reel carp fishing than trout fishing in my experience. The exception to that is if you are a serious trout angler and you will be fishing in freezing conditions, in those conditions when line, guides etc quickly freeze quality is paramount!
Screenshot_20190328-200820.png
Truth, but even the high quality ones freeze up when they get wet. Had a Freestone freeze up on me that ^day, but I did fumble around and drop it in the water so can't really blame it on the reel.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I think I'll get it. I'll throw it on a cheap TFO 5wt I have for now until I can get a rod for it. Report to follow.
I have 4 off the old versions which are the 2200 series. I really like them for the price. They are light, have a smooth drag and a nice drag knob. Negatives are the finish isn’t bullet proof and drag is not super strong like some other reels. I’ve had my 7/8 for over 3 years fishing saltwater and it’s been to the Bahamas twice. I’ve had no problems at all. Just released the drag tension when stored (my 5/6 drag knob gets sticky if I don’t). My 7/8 and 9/10s will be going back to the Bahamas again this year.

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have 4 off the old versions which are the 2200 series. I really like them for the price. They are light, have a smooth drag and a nice drag knob. Negatives are the finish isn’t bullet proof and drag is not super strong like some other reels. I’ve had my 7/8 for over 3 years fishing saltwater and it’s been to the Bahamas twice. I’ve had no problems at all. Just released the drag tension when stored (my 5/6 drag knob gets sticky if I don’t). My 7/8 and 9/10s will be going back to the Bahamas again this year.
Thanks a ton. Exactly what I was hoping to hear.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts