Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know anything about this reel, good or bad? It's on sale and I have a gift card burning a hole in my pocket. Just looking for a cheap 5/6 for trout and reds.

·
Fly-By-Night
3,187 Posts
Anybody know anything about this reel, good or bad? It's on sale and I have a gift card burning a hole in my pocket. Just looking for a cheap 5/6 for trout and reds.
Never fished one but played around a lot with a 10wt my buddy got recently, reel looks really nice for the price. Drag feels pretty smooth and strong as well. He got the lime colored one.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Never fished one but played around a lot with a 10wt my buddy got recently, reel looks really nice for the price. Drag feels pretty smooth and strong as well. He got the lime colored one.
Thanks. I think I'm going to pull the trigger on it unless someone posts some serious horror stories in the next day or so.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
It is a trout reel so it is not as vital as a reel for saltwater where fish will be consistently taking you into the backing so drag and quality are not as important IMO. It is more important to have a good reel carp fishing than trout fishing in my experience. The exception to that is if you are a serious trout angler and you will be fishing in freezing conditions, in those conditions when line, guides etc quickly freeze quality is paramount!

·
Fly-By-Night
3,187 Posts
It is a trout reel so it is not as vital as a reel for saltwater where fish will be consistently taking you into the backing so drag and quality are not as important IMO. It is more important to have a good reel carp fishing than trout fishing in my experience. The exception to that is if you are a serious trout angler and you will be fishing in freezing conditions, in those conditions when line, guides etc quickly freeze quality is paramount!
Natural landscape Nature Reflection Water Tree

Truth, but even the high quality ones freeze up when they get wet. Had a Freestone freeze up on me that ^day, but I did fumble around and drop it in the water so can't really blame it on the reel.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I think I'll get it. I'll throw it on a cheap TFO 5wt I have for now until I can get a rod for it. Report to follow.
I have 4 off the old versions which are the 2200 series. I really like them for the price. They are light, have a smooth drag and a nice drag knob. Negatives are the finish isn’t bullet proof and drag is not super strong like some other reels. I’ve had my 7/8 for over 3 years fishing saltwater and it’s been to the Bahamas twice. I’ve had no problems at all. Just released the drag tension when stored (my 5/6 drag knob gets sticky if I don’t). My 7/8 and 9/10s will be going back to the Bahamas again this year.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have 4 off the old versions which are the 2200 series. I really like them for the price. They are light, have a smooth drag and a nice drag knob. Negatives are the finish isn’t bullet proof and drag is not super strong like some other reels. I’ve had my 7/8 for over 3 years fishing saltwater and it’s been to the Bahamas twice. I’ve had no problems at all. Just released the drag tension when stored (my 5/6 drag knob gets sticky if I don’t). My 7/8 and 9/10s will be going back to the Bahamas again this year.
Thanks a ton. Exactly what I was hoping to hear.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.