Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, you know the old saying... 'the happiness day of your life and the saddest day of you life... The day you buy a boat and the day you sell one'
Congratulations to Capt Travis, he rolled away my VHP yesterday and got himself a great boat that will suit him and his beautiful family very well. It is an incredible boat and I will miss the high 50's in a big way on long runs but as great as she was, she just didn't fit my style of fishing so I grabbed a spot on the list and will be working with Kevin and crew on an Evo X Tunnel build. I guess I will be the huckleberry for the first Evo tunnel. I am calling it the Evo 'TX Edition'
Working on the details now, open to suggestions. Have looked at E-Money's, Wong's, Todd's, Harvey's (VHP and looking forward to his Evo X build pics) and many other builds very closely for ideas and feedback. Thank you very much to all of those I have spoken with already and I am sure you will hear from me again.
But dang, hit a great spot in fishing season and I am boatless... Sadness Screenshot_20170514-143806.png
Bye bye <sniffle> 20170508_154359.jpg
Also attached is the last fish caught from the boat (last Monday) . 28.5" and 8lbs. There will be more.
Pablo

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congrats on the sale and the new skiff coming! I just let go of my glide for a new fury and it was a sad day, but there are better ones coming! Excited to see your build as it comes up.
Thank you, mcfly!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Highly interested in this build. What are you thoughts so far? Side, center console? What size motor? Draft? Hole shot? Cruise and WOT speeds. I'll provide my two cents for what they are worth. I generally fish the same areas and will be in that market soon for a new skiff.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Highly interested in this build. What are you thoughts so far? Side, center console? What size motor? Draft? Hole shot? Cruise and WOT speeds. I'll provide my two cents for what they are worth. I generally fish the same areas and will be in that market soon for a new skiff.
Great questions - early thoughts
Center console - with a setup very similar to mwong61 with the Simrad GPS and instrument gage
Tunnel hull - I think I will be the first with an Evo X with a tunnel so I could be the Guinea Pig
Torn between a Suzuki 60 and 90 - I want the torque and speed but don't want it to get too heavy. I had a Mitzi 17 (which is similar to the Evo and always thought it would be great with a 90hp for that extra ump out of the the hole and a bit more speed. Might offset the weight with Lithium batteries?? I would love to run in low 40's with 3 aboard
Lenco tabs with indicator switch
Atlas Micro Jacker w/ turn signal type switch
Dry storage and insulated cooler instead of live well (I use no bait, all hard plastics and lures)
IPilot - Riptide or Ulterra - offset
Casting platform w/lean post
Poling platform
Micro Pole - mount from Poling platform to save additional weight
Not 100% on the color - likely either seafoam or lighter blue like my VHP
Ram-lin aluminum low profile
Still figuring out the rest. I wasn't really thinking my VHP would sell in <24 for hours so I better get cracking.
Open to thoughts
Pablo

·
Registered
26 Posts
Curious on the draft with a 90 HP. Low 40's would be amazing if draft can be maintained at 6-8". What size gas tank are you looking at? I would want at least 100 mile range launching from the Bluff. Maybe 20 gallons.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Curious on the draft with a 90 HP. Low 40's would be amazing if draft can be maintained at 6-8". What size gas tank are you looking at? I would want at least 100 mile range launching from the Bluff. Maybe 20 gallons.
I would do at least 20 and closer to 30 if I can get it in the EvoX and do the 90. I typically launch from BIB so a little less fuel burn than launching from the Bluff and the goal is to run thin enough to run the backside of the island all the way south with the exception of super low tides.
Todd has reported 37mph and ~5" of static draft with his build and his 60 sips gas so that is attractive but I fish so much in the land cut that I really don't want an hour plus run each way so the 90 has some appeal.
Has anyone else done a 90hp on an X? I know folks have on a regular Evo but interested if anyone else has on an X?
Pablo

·
Registered
38 Posts
Wow. HB told me you were going for this. Good for you. I talk to Kevin about doing a tunnel on the EvoX but I was worried about being the first. So l guess from your comment you fish the hole so you could potentially have 2 props, one for speed when tides higher and 1 for hole shot when super low tides are in. Might be too much of a pain in the ass. Only info I can give is from a guide fishing the HB Prof using a Suz 90. He felt it had better hole shot and could run around the 35 mph range. His boat had a tunnel.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would definitely expect better than 35 from a speed perspective with a 90.
I will talk to Kevin some more but I was considering a Yamaha 70 as well but they ran one recently and I think the results were not so favorable over the zuke 60 so I might rule it out.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I'm sure an Evo X tunnel build will be widely followed on this forum. A little speed is nice when making the run to the hole, which is why I don't attempt it. Last time I had a skiff in there we drove the beach and launched from YB.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm sure an Evo X tunnel build will be widely followed on this forum. A little speed is nice when making the run to the hole, which is why I don't attempt it. Last time I had a skiff in there we drove the beach and launched from YB.
Impressive launching from YBP, I hadn't heard of anyone doing that in a while. Back in the 50's and early 60's my father and uncle always walked into the hole from the island. Lots of stories.
Unless the tide is super low it is really not that hard to launch at BIB and run the backside and as long as an EvoX will run in 7" or so I should rarely have to touch the intercoastal on the way down unless it is a crazy low tide. The big deal is not so much in the running down there, it is more in knowing where NOT to stop along the way else you have a long push or chug.
I will definitely keep everyone in the loop as things develop.
Pablo

Reactions: commtrd and Sublime

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Impressive launching from YBP, I hadn't heard of anyone doing that in a while. Back in the 50's and early 60's my father and uncle always walked into the hole from the island. Lots of stories.
Unless the tide is super low it is really not that hard to launch at BIB and run the backside and as long as an EvoX will run in 7" or so I should rarely have to touch the intercoastal on the way down unless it is a crazy low tide. The big deal is not so much in the running down there, it is more in knowing where NOT to stop along the way else you have a long push or chug.
I will definitely keep everyone in the loop as things develop.
Pablo
It was a fun trip. We had a gheenoe, a Gordon, my BT and a couple of canoes in the group. Only one truck got stuck between the beach and where we camped.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
4,541 Posts
I drove in with a yak a couple times last year. That road in is something else.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
347 Posts
Dang, man! I feel your pain! Sold both of my boats to get on the build list for an Evo X last month. Did not think they would sell so quickly, and now I'm boatless while I wait for the build to start.

I was planning to go with the F70 - curious as to what you heard about the not so favorable results...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dang, man! I feel your pain! Sold both of my boats to get on the build list for an Evo X last month. Did not think they would sell so quickly, and now I'm boatless while I wait for the build to start.

I was planning to go with the F70 - curious as to what you heard about the not so favorable results...
Thanks for the empathy. It is tough being boatless. I feel like less of a man without a boat!
I will confirm with Kevin but I heard it from someone dropping off his VHP out there who was test driving an Evo X that the performance compared to the zuke 60 was not as beneficial as they had hoped for the stated additional power. Could have been a prop issue or a need to dial in the motor settings if they didn't have it on a jack plate where they could tweak with the height on the fly. Hard to say. Maybe it is a Ford vs Chevy thing?Everyone has a favorite brand. But the ECS guys hang a lot of different outboards so they get to see them all.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That I do not know.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts