Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not sure if this goes here but I just received the plans for this skiff.
Looks like I'm going to build the 19' ((OPTIONAL 17' 4" OR 15' 8 )) Sabine version since most MFG are 9/12months out on builds.
Says she floats in 5” of water.
Might add trim tabs and sponsons (float pods) to help the stern weight with a 60 or 70hp Suzuki (I'm thinking) so I can swap it to a fiberglass skiff one day (we will see).
Might put a little more V in the front since the third frame is almost flat on the full PDF plans.
Hopefully the V will help in some rough water if encountered.
Gonna go 2x3 framing instead of 2x4's (little less weight, not much).
Talked to the designer and he said that was plenty since he over builds all his plans.
Not 100% sure about the flat stern, might want something to bite in turns.
Not sure if this stern will slide or not.
Not sure what epoxy or glass to use, but I have time to look into that since I never have glassed before.

JB

Study Plans:

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Picking up the wood on Tuesday.
Gonna go with regular ply since it will all be epoxied/glass etc.
Should hold me for a few years, or until everyone gets tired of their 2021 skiff's-LoL

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
bad bad idea. surprised at your designer. wetting with epoxy is great until a hole you drill leaks. marine ply has water resistant glues.
For long term yes, but short term.
And when you drill you glass over it and have wood flower in the hole so all holes are sealed.
Exterior ply also has water proof glue.
Just a link example:

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
short term. so when you sell this boat then...you can return the ply you bought. and use stuff meant for boats, not roofs.

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
short term. so when you sell this boat then...you can return the ply you bought. and use stuff meant for boats, not roofs.
It's $750.00 for the wood and fasteners (not glass etc.) and it will fish and hold me over until I don't need it.
Simple really, when you think about it to get out and fish until those who are tired of their 2021 skiff's etc.
We will see.
I know of a few builders that have used this and their boats are still on the water with no problems since 2010 when they finished their build. Oh, and they used glue for (PL Premium) for all the joints then glassed the boat, painted it and no leaks and the structure is solid.
Not saying the exterior ply is the way to go for some, but it will still work, and work well.
Just glass well and seal up the boat, and send it!

Edited: forgot to add the Jamestown fasteners.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,132 Posts
Cutting corners generally not advisable. If I was building a boat with wood (prolly would not) I would use okoume which is meant for boats. So then you're going to turn around and try to sell this boat to someone and you know it was built with incorrect materials for the application? Hmmm.... karma

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cutting corners generally not advisable. If I was building a boat with wood (prolly would not) I would use okoume which is meant for boats. So then you're going to turn around and try to sell this boat to someone and you know it was built with incorrect materials for the application? Hmmm.... karma
*Who said I’m going to sell it? Please quote that on the thread.
-I need something to get on the water and for me to have fun for a while.
-What’s so hard to understand about that.
-People have been building boats out of plywood for a very lone time before they knew about okoume or.
-I really don’t want a wood boat but going to run with this for a little while to get into a 100% glass boat from a real MFG.
-It will be fine, and my son will take the boat if it’s still around like those others that are still around made out of the same stuff.
-Oh and BTW, you assume that if I did sell the boat I would hide the fact it is that type of plywood.
-Well you are very mistaken! 100% and I don’t like the application or insinuation of part of your statement.
-I value my word to others.
-I’m an honest person and I won’t ever do that to someone.
-Just like the guy who bought my StumpNocker, I told him 100% every quirkinesses and things I did to the boat etc.
-I also wired him back $100.00 because he over paid me eve after he counted it twice!
-I also counted it and it was correct but when I asked my wife to count it, she was over $100.00 and we counted it four times.
-A bill was really stuck together.
-So I texted the man and had the $100.00 wired back to him.
-Yep, most people would have said nothing, and the buyer never knew until I told him.
-That is how I roll 100% and it feels good to roll that way.
Thanks,
JB

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Why would you have a picture of an action craft on your website I am confused.
What web site? As far as I know, I don't have a web site-use to, but got rid of them $$.
Not that I know of, unless it's something that was there a long time ago that I wanted. I also had a head injury so I really don't remember.

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Maybe its just my phone but when I click on tye add yoy posyed a picture of an action craft shows up
That's weird, unless I'm hacked.
Please PM me a screen shot.
Thanks,
My avatar is just me standing in the surf fishing.
My daughter took the pic when I was not looking.

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
No luck its not that big of a deal just thought it was strange thats all . Maybe its an add for action craft not sure carry on looking forward to watching the build.

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No luck its not that big of a deal just thought it was strange thats all . Maybe its an add for action craft not sure carry on looking forward to watching the build.
Well you know how the internet can be, maybe someone likes my face-LoL :p

1 - 20 of 50 Posts