Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
South Texas, 18’ to 21’, tunnel vs. cat? solo flyfisherman, (Troll no pole), Jack plate ? Draft? Tabs? Other variables? Depth of trolling motor vs. draft? Dry? STABLE! Other?

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,169 Posts
Prolly answered your own question. Obviously dont need to be thinking about a technical poling skiff. Just go buy a 21' Shoalwater, put a 200 on it and you will fit In just fine. Stylin' in fact.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Distinction between technical (I agree with you on the that) and skinny flats boat? Do you mean a shoalwater CAT or other? How about shorter? $

·
Registered
Just livin’ my life easy come easy go...
850 Posts
No but Kevin is a cool dude that has helped me more than once even though I bought this used. It will be for sale soon. It is a Lostmen, and head and shoulders better than any tunnel/cat that we see here. I bought it because it reminded me of the ‘89 shallow sport i ran for years insofar as stability. With the trolling motor and power pole, I fish solo and do well sightcasting with a fly rod. The issue with every “south Texas” tunnel hull that I know is they are so damn flat/loud that you (almost) have to wade to sight cast.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,169 Posts
Might consider a New Water Ibis as an alternative as that is a little over 21' and drafts pretty shallow with a tunnel that works. Since not poling, thus might fit the bill. They are quite proud of those boats though. Could also look at their Curlew. That Lostmen could also be the right boat. Good to have choices.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Might consider a New Water Ibis as an alternative as that is a little over 21' and drafts pretty shallow with a tunnel that works. Since not poling, thus might fit the bill. They are quite proud of those boats though. Could also look at their Curlew. That Lostmen could also be the right boat. Good to have choices.
thnx for response. I’m working on it. I was thinking Evo or fury for size. Smaller cat (18’ ish) with lower profile?? Two very different things I’m aware. Isis is too much$ for me. Curlew too slow. Picky, picky.

·
Registered
586 Posts
thnx for response. I’m working on it. I was thinking Evo or fury for size. Smaller cat (18’ ish) with lower profile?? Two very different things I’m aware. Isis is too much$ for me. Curlew too slow. Picky, picky.
Jhw, best pick something before we get old

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Already too old.
I am still confused about draft, depth of trolling motor, 1100lb. dry weight cat vs 500 lb. skiff with the same “claimed” draft. (What difference does it make if the “claimed” draft at rest is 5” but the trolling motor needs 10” depth to perform?) Displacement is the answer of course but all the boats seem sold by anecdote, not empirical proof.
A very few years ago stability meant nothing to me but now it is near the most important attribute. Advantage catamaran.
See sentence #1.
I really enjoy the forum, especially Chris Morejohn and the thoughtful, well reasoned responses to his posts. His design, the Piranha Magro is a new entry in the pack. Kevin at East Cape is the best ambassador for boating i’ve met.

·
Registered
Just livin’ my life easy come easy go...
850 Posts
The difference is in how much noise the hull generates underway with a trolling motor. Draft/Depth of water between my old shallow sport and current Lostmen using a TM is negligible. Hull weight does make a difference when you get too skinny. No way I’d push the SS but the Lostmen is no big deal.

There is no magical boat that will accomplish everything you listed. Some will get close and those that do are spendy.
Here are the answers to your questions for a Lostmen.
South Texas, 18’ to 21’, tunnel vs. cat? solo flyfisherman, (Troll no pole), 18’ tunnel
Jack plate ? Yes
Draft? 5-7 inches depending on load
Tabs? Yes
Other variables? Quiet hull
Depth of trolling motor vs. draft? Enough to spin prop maybe 10” needed when using TM. Still shallow enough for tailing fish.
Dry? Depends on operator
STABLE! Aircraft carrier like for a skiff
Other? It actually turns

·
Registered
42 Posts
One last entry. Call Keith Kay (361-563-2685) in Corpus. He makes a 23' Wild skiff with a tunnel. It was designed by Bruce Wild and is a fabulous boat. Shallow draft, stable, gets up skinny and handles rough water well. Top speed with a 200 SHO/TRP is low 50's. Keith just built one for my accountant who is 68 years old and still wants to fish skinny. He loves it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thnx. Don’t know your recommendations but at least they are not in the Keys. Corpus is easy from McAllen.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
96 Posts
Shoot me a message and I'll give you my phone number. I'm down in south padre and I have owned shallow sports, New waters, Pathfnders, Build a few SCB's for shallow sport. I can shoot you right not one boat is good at everything. They all have a give and take. I own a shallow sport 24 V an a Pathfinder 17T

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Shoot me a message and I'll give you my phone number. I'm down in south padre and I have owned shallow sports, New waters, Pathfnders, Build a few SCB's for shallow sport. I can shoot you right not one boat is good at everything. They all have a give and take. I own a shallow sport 24 V an a Pathfinder 17T
956-533-1393

·
Registered
2020 Salt Boatworks FRS-14
228 Posts
My current primary solo setup is a Majek Texas Skiff, Yamaha 70, jack plate, 80# Minkota, 8' power pole, trim tabs. With this little setup I can fish solo or with the family/friends and be comfortable.

Michael

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I had an ultra cat 22’ that was stable but SLOW. THIS WAS BEFORE MAJEK BOUGHT THE MOLDS and they have never given out the specs on their Ultra Cat since... any length? as you’ve seen above I’m solo, fly, catch and release, old, limited movement and value stability and money. I’ll be trolling not polling.
Used East Cape with tunnel or other/tunnel. Lower Laguna Madre SPI so nw to fish then se home. Good weather only. Stability argues for Cat but draft, handling, appearance, etc. argues for skiff.
Thoughts?

My current primary solo setup is a Majek Texas Skiff, Yamaha 70, jack plate, 80# Minkota, 8' power pole, trim tabs. With this little setup I can fish solo or with the family/friends and be comfortable.

Michael
I had an Ultra Cat 22’ very stable and SLOW. THIS WAS B bought the molds. They do not reveal specs?

Michael

Michael

Michael

Michael

·
Registered
2020 Salt Boatworks FRS-14
228 Posts
I had an ultra cat 22’ that was stable but SLOW. THIS WAS BEFORE MAJEK BOUGHT THE MOLDS and they have never given out the specs on their Ultra Cat since... any length? as you’ve seen above I’m solo, fly, catch and release, old, limited movement and value stability and money. I’ll be trolling not polling.
Used East Cape with tunnel or other/tunnel. Lower Laguna Madre SPI so nw to fish then se home. Good weather only. Stability argues for Cat but draft, handling, appearance, etc. argues for skiff.
Thoughts?
My little skiff is the smallest in the Redfish Line and is very stable. Mine is setup to go super skinny and get up in a puddle of mud. I have seen 30mph at WOT one time running the 4 blade deep cupped prop. It drafts less than 6" and I can get on plane in less than 1'. For me it is just this side of perfect but only being 16' long it can beat you up if you try to go too quick through the chop.

Michael

1 - 20 of 61 Posts