??'s on painting a classic

Discussion in 'Boat Yard Basics' started by TomFL, Jun 22, 2009.

1. TomFL

TomFL Well-Known Member

Got the Classic duck boat about ready to paint, and am wondering what the best choices are for the camo. I've done plenty of painting before, but never a boat.

Other than normal sanding/priming is there anything I need to be concerned with when painting over the gelcoat on the hull exterior?

Anyone have any good input on a good primer?

Parker coatings has some duck boat paint available: http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0006070220075a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=boat+paint&Ntk=Products&_D%3AhasJS=+&Go.y=0&http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cabelas.com%2Fcabelas%2Fcommerce%2FCabelasCatalogNumberFinder.giftCertificateURL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cabelas.com%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Ftemplates%2Fgiftcertificate%2Fgiftcertificate.jsp%3Fid%3D0005586990011a%26podId%3D0005586%26catalogCode%3DIB%26navAction%3Djump%26indexId%3D&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_requestid=65117&_D%3A%2Fcabelas%2Fcommerce%2FCabelasCatalogNumberFinder.giftCertificateURL=+&N=0&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&Go.x=0&_DARGS=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cabelas.com%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form23 but they don't have a bright, spring green that I'm looking for to do some of the pattern work with.

Can I just have a color mixed up in flat if I found a vendor that could do it?

-T

2. paint it black

paint it black Paddling away...

They sell camo boat paint at Basspro that is really really strong. The paint is about 14 bucks a quart. one quart should do the trick. I did my jon boat in and out with one quart. I had posted up a quick how to on the camo pattern technique.

3. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

I have done my fair share of painting duck boats. I now only use BLP Marine paint for the base coat. All I do is wash the boat good with soap and water and scrape/sand where necessary. This lasts for many years and never a problem grabbing fiberglass or aluminum. About every 5-6 years it will need to be done again because the other coats will fade out.

For the accents I use Rustoleum camo paint. They have two different greens that might be of interest.

4. sfsurfr

sfsurfr Oh you fancy huh!!!

This is just my opinion on painting camo anything. go with a light base coat(rolled preferably). tan, loam or really light brown all over. Let it dry. Find whatever foliage that you are gonna be hunting in and have someone hold a bunch of it to the hullside of the boat. With a spraycan, spray with olive drab, dark brown or whatever dark color you choose. Move along until you are done with the hullsides. Grab more foliage and spread it throughout the deck/inside of the boat and spray the hell out of it. Make sure to remove the painted foliage before it dries to the hull and you have a custom camo paint job that can't be beat!!!! or duplicated.

5. paint it black

Definitely start lightest color to darkest. I suggest using a Marsh Grass color as the base, then come back with foilage of your choice, and olive drab spray paint. Do some of the sprays light like a mist. Then come back and do some darker more definite ones to give it depth and detail. Once that's done, come back with said foilage, but a can of flat black instead. And do the same. First some misty, then some more definite.

Here are some pics of mine I did with this method.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. paint it black

Oh yeah, and the ducks seem to like it too.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

;)

7. paint it black

I say sand the gelcoat with something coarse like 180 -220 grit. Nothing less. You want the paint to stick good. I sanded my jon boat with 180. The marsh grass paint has stuck really well. It's the spray paint that has scratched off on the upper rail, and a couple spots here and there. The same company that makes the paint that I sprayed the hull with makes spray cans as well. Maybe their cans would hold up.  I sprayed the marsh grass color with a HVLP spray gun. 3 coats on the outside, 2 coats on the inside. I painted the floor and bench tops with flat black.

Not to sound cocky, but I haven't seen any camo jobs better than that. I had seen a how-to on doing camo guns on "duckhuntingchat.com" and pretty much enlarged the scale. Most camo paint jobs look very cheap and fake. The depth on mine is insane. It took me a couple tries to get it down packed. The first time I tried on a small container. Then I did my friends boat. His boat didn't come out bad, it just didn't come out great. Then I did my boat and I did it really fast, and it turned out great. I couldn't be more happy with it.

I am a professional automotive custom painter though. I make a living off doing custom paint work and graphics on show cars. So it might come easier to me than others. It's fairly easy though. Try on a couple test panels, and you should be good to go.