RV'ing help

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Weedy, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Weedy

Weedy Well-Known Member

Has anyone done any traveling in an rv with the family (wife, daughter (13) and one of her friends)? I am thinking about renting one and heading up to DC and various places in between this summer. I rented an rv this weekend when we went down to the seafood fest and we all really enjoyed it. Don't really want to buy one, but like the idea of using one for a vacation. Any tips, tricks, do's and dont's????

2. cal1320

cal1320 Well-Known Member

I'll be watching this as my kids want to go to DC also. We were discussing flying or even the Auto train. I don't know how driving around DC in a large RV would be.

3. B.Lee

B.Lee Well-Known Member

Traveling in an RV is by far the best way to travel. Renting one is probably the best way to go too unless you go somewhere every weekend.

If it's just the 4 of you going, get something small, like a small class C or even a class B if it's available. Much better on gas and easier to navigate around the city.

4. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

http://www.campingroadtrip.com/tipsandarticles/entryid/27/top-tips-to-rent-an-rv-in-the-u-s.aspx

I avoid typing stuff someone else has already typed... ;)

Avoid driving in DC. Take the metrorail and buses everywhere.
    Drops you off right at all the worthwhile things to see.

5. Weedy

Weedy Well-Known Member

If we end up doing this, it would be in a class C 28'. I rented on this weekend and it was perfect for the 4 of us. It said it sleeps 6-8 and there were enough bedding for that many, but the dinette was really small. I wouldn't be driving around DC that much, I found a camp ground in Maryland that is the closest to the city and they have trams/buses that go into city, along with the trains!
    I know it would be alot more money, but for pick-up on friday around 9am and return on monday by 11am it cost us 349.00. They charged us .40 a mile for mileage and it cost us 102.00 for that along with the 100.00 in gas. It was 550.00 well spent for us and we didn't need a car down in Everglade City. We walked to everything and We could do the same in DC with cabs, trains, buses, etc.....
    My parents did this type of trip in the early 80's with me and we traveled from Ft. Lauderdale to upper New York state. We stopped along the way at all kinds of civil war battel fields and saw all kinds of history in between. I'll never forget that trip and I'm sure my daughter would really like it.

6. beavis

beavis Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

and Weedy can be a scary sight in the morning. hehe

[​IMG]

7. Weedy

Weedy Well-Known Member

haha, very funny!! [smiley=finger.gif]

8. noeettica

noeettica Well-Known Member

For DC stay at the Doubletree in maraland ...

Take the metro Everywhere ...NO cabs and no rush hour ...

Buy the faire card ;-)

There ane many variations on this ... finding an RV spot near the metro would be pretty good I would think ... or park the rv at the hotel ...

Driving in DC ...NOT so much ...

Dave

9. Frank_Sebastian

Frank_Sebastian Well-Known Member

We liked the Flying "J" gas stations/truck stops as they are easy to refuel at and are fair to good prices.

If you don't have one on the rental I would get a GPS. Also Woodalls guides are helpful.

Best regards and have fun,
    Frank_S

10. Weedy

Weedy Well-Known Member

Why rent an rv?????? [smiley=smoker-bouncing.gif]

11. GTSRGTSR

GTSRGTSR Well-Known Member

We traveled by RV to DC in 2005. We stayed in Pohick Bay campground in Lorton, 1/2 mile from where the AutoTrain stops. I would reccommend the campground, it is nice and it is a county or state campground which means it isnt expensive. It was close to the metro stop so we parked at metro stop with the RV and took the train in 1 day. The other day we drove into DC early and parked right on the mall in front of the American History Museum!!!!

I have rented RVs a few times and have owned 2. This is mine now..
    [​IMG]
    I was not pleased some years ago with Cruise America, I had problems with the coach and its electrical system and they were not helpful and I wasted my vacation time and money getting it fixed as I was in western NC... I have plenty to say but if you have specific questions, I'll try and answer them. We love  RV travel and have 2 boys, 9 and 11.

12. TomFL

TomFL Well-Known Member

Dude, forget the RV!!!

Go down to the local car dealer and tell them you want to order the FAMILY TRUCKSTER

I know it doesn't look like much, but "wait till you drive it"
    [​IMG]

Look at this sexy beast! Enough light for driving through the VA coal mines on your way:
    [​IMG]

Cops dig it, so you'll be sure not to get any "stiff fines"
    [​IMG]

They are available in 4WD models:
    [​IMG]

And, best of all, your family will fit in in downtown DC:
    [​IMG]

-T

13. Weedy

Weedy Well-Known Member

I would go the family truckster way, however there is no pottie and with three females onboard........ NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO way!!!!!

14. cal1320

cal1320 Well-Known Member

The family truckster is damn sexy. ;D