Rules against new forum members posting in for sale section?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by AfterHours2, May 21, 2012.

1. AfterHours2

AfterHours2 Stripper in my own Mind!

Is it possible to put restrictions on new members from posting items for sale on their first post. We all like good deals and browsing through for sale items but it kind of takes away the integrity of buying something from a legit and honest forum member. Eventually, I'm afraid that the for sale section will become a haven for crooks just trying to unload problematic boats. I've also seen many new members post something for sale and never respond to any pm or pic requests. Not sure how far this will go but atleast a member should be required to contribute a fair number of posts to the community. Just my thoughts .....

2. tom_in_orl

tom_in_orl Founder of Microskiff, Member of the Gheenoe Army

I feel your pain. This is subject that we have considered in the early days of Microskiff. I have always been personally troubled by people who join only to have their first post be in the for sale section and have them never return. Still there are some positive things associated with this functionality. Sometimes some really good deals show up and our members get to benefit from them. That is a big plus. Also, in the 5 years that we have been online there has never been any issues with fraud. Obviously all transactions are between the buyer and seller. Buyers should always be cautious when dealing with people they don't know. But that is no different here than anywhere else and to shut it down would only reduce the usefulness of this site.

Thanks for the great question.

3. cutrunner

cutrunner Cert. Yamaha technician

I personally have met , and bought things, and just set up fishing trips with "unknown" members from microskiff. Every one turned out to be an outstanding person. Outcast gladly showed me his skiff way before Ankona was so popular, Slightly Native brought me a 40oz of a super good home brew beer just for showing him some fishing spots in my area, Tomfl and i met and it seems we know alot of the same people in town and is also a great guy, and im sure there are a few others im forgetting, sorry.

But like previously mentioned, always be cautious when buying