rotten plywood under casting deck

Discussion in 'Boat Yard Basics' started by redbike22, Jul 12, 2011.

1. redbike22

redbike22 I Love microskiff.com!

Hi, pretty new on here, not so handy either...last night i was looking my boat over (1999 ugly skiff 15') and when i opened the anchor hatch, i realized that the plywood on the underside of the deck was soaked, and kind of slimy...i touched it, and pieces were literally breaking off. appears that there is so much moisture in there that the wood is rotting. since the front deck is basically sealed off, except for a couple of small hatches (for life preservers, anchor, etc), how do i replace/reinforce that deck? i want to do it before it gets soft and i can no longer stand on it. thanks!

2. firecat1981

firecat1981 BBA Counselor

If it is already checking and pieces are falling apart then it's pretty much too late, sorry. Best thing to do is cut the whole thing out and replace it, but this time use epoxy resin and glass both sides so it won't happen again. Also might want to add some vents to let it dry out to help avoid issues in the future.

3. redbike22

redbike22 I Love microskiff.com!

Any of you guys do this type of work near/in the tampa bay area? i am willing to hire someone...thanks! i can provide pics if needed for an estimate--

4. The_Skiff_Shop

The_Skiff_Shop Well-Known Member

Send me a couple of pics to ron@theskiffshop.com and I'll offer what I can.