Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I was out in the driveway today with the ear muffs on the motor and trying to do a pull start with a rope in case I ever have a dead battery out on the water. I could not get it to turn over. Yes ignition was on, yes it was in neutral, yes I squeezed the primer bulb, no I am not a weakling
(gym 3-4x/wk.) Does anybody have any other suggestions on how to do this properly?

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2,433 Posts
So, I was out in the driveway today with the ear muffs on the motor and trying to do a pull start with a rope in case I ever have a dead battery out on the water. I could not get it to turn over. Yes ignition was on, yes it was in neutral, yes I squeezed the primer bulb, no I am not a weakling
(gym 3-4x/wk.) Does anybody have any other suggestions on how to do this properly?
Did you read the Tohatsu manual? Did the engine ship with a starter rope? Yamaha ships with a starter rope.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is it an EFI motor? Did you get any response from it when trying to pull start? Did it crank up with the ignition afterwards?
It does have EFI, I don't know if that makes any difference as long as the flywheel spins. It did not fire at all but then started right up with the key.
Did you read the Tohatsu manual? Did the engine ship with a starter rope? Yamaha ships with a starter rope.
Yes, the manual gives a very generic description of rope starting. I bought the boat used, so I did not get a rope. Made one out of braided 3/8" nylon rope. May try it again this weekend with a better rope/handle.

·
Brandon, FL
10,970 Posts
I have a merc 25 that has the emergency rope and I will tell you it is a F'ing ball buster to get it to start with the rope. I sure hope if I ever have an emergency that I am not injured because I will never get it started.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts