Rolling on gel coat?

Discussion in 'Boat Yard Basics' started by wrv993, Apr 30, 2012.

1. wrv993

wrv993 I Love microskiff.com!

Just out of curiosity... Has anyone rolled gel coat on the exterior of a hull? What was the outcome, looks, durability? I know it's usually sprayed on the exterior... but that option is not available for me. I originally intended on buying a two part paint to finish the exterior of my hull (and probably still will) BUT, i have a load of gel coat sitting around from a previous project and figured I could possibly save a few bucks by just adding a pigment to the gel coat I already have. Thanks

2. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Yes...awful lot of sanding involved afterwards though... :-[

I think the term used to describe it by my fishin' bud was "alligator finish" ;D

3. cutrunner

cutrunner Cert. Yamaha technician

I too, have tried it. Dont even bother with it... It will cost you more money in sand paper than awlgrip with brush converter will.

4. jms

jms don't let common sense get in your way

brushing awlgrip - rolling and tipping awlgrip - doing this on any surface either than a non skid deck,should be punishible crimes !
    attempting to roll on gel coat,as a topside finish is equally as bad...

5. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

30 years too late for that nugget of knowledge kreepa... ;) ;D

6. jms

we all learn by mistakes - hence the term "experience"...

7. wrv993

wrv993 I Love microskiff.com!

Thanks for all the input. Guess I'll throw that idea out... deff don't want an 'alligator finish' haha. I figured sanding would be a royal PITA if I were to roll it on. Anymore sanding is that last thing I need :-/

8. jms

any time gel coat is used,aside from being used in a mold or a deck - the gel coat will require sanding,and compounding - use a good 2 part paint - like awlgrip...