Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just out of curiosity... Has anyone rolled gel coat on the exterior of a hull? What was the outcome, looks, durability? I know it's usually sprayed on the exterior... but that option is not available for me. I originally intended on buying a two part paint to finish the exterior of my hull (and probably still will) BUT, i have a load of gel coat sitting around from a previous project and figured I could possibly save a few bucks by just adding a pigment to the gel coat I already have. Thanks

·
> PRO STAFF <
7,524 Posts
Yes...awful lot of sanding involved afterwards though... :-[

I think the term used to describe it by my fishin' bud was "alligator finish" ;D

·
Cert. Yamaha technician
4,330 Posts
I too, have tried it. Dont even bother with it... It will cost you more money in sand paper than awlgrip with brush converter will.

·
don't let common sense get in your way
462 Posts
brushing awlgrip - rolling and tipping awlgrip - doing this on any surface either than a non skid deck,should be punishible crimes !
attempting to roll on gel coat,as a topside finish is equally as bad...

·
I Love microskiff.com!
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the input. Guess I'll throw that idea out... deff don't want an 'alligator finish' haha. I figured sanding would be a royal PITA if I were to roll it on. Anymore sanding is that last thing I need :-/

·
don't let common sense get in your way
462 Posts
Thanks for all the input. Guess I'll throw that idea out... deff don't want an 'alligator finish' haha. I figured sanding would be a royal PITA if I were to roll it on. Anymore sanding is that last thing I need  :-/

any time gel coat is used,aside from being used in a mold or a deck - the gel coat will require sanding,and compounding - use a good 2 part paint - like awlgrip...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts