Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Plays with Glass...
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
678D31F7-1682-4E9F-9DDC-7D2C027F8AE6.jpeg
Just put my first of 9 coats down. Gave up the idea of controlling dust. However, I would like to hear tips on thinning, brush type, number of coats? Or whatever.

My first mistake was using a microfiber cloth with acetone after the tack cloth. FYI they’re not really lint free.

·
Premium Member
1,199 Posts
Real tack cloth & China bristle brush. I thin first coat , go lite w rest. More the the better. You’ll be able to buff out between coats , dust wise. Looking good.

·
Plays with Glass...
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Real tack cloth & China bristle brush. I thin first coat , go lite w rest. More the the better. You’ll be able to buff out between coats , dust wise. Looking good.
Thank you! Epiphanes said to thin 50% on the first coat. When I thinned it that far I realized they are thinking most people are using this on bare wood.

·
Plays with Glass...
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
7 coats later this is what I found specific to using Epifanes Gloss over glass/epoxy:

No thinning is needed
No tipping is needed
The foam roller is very important. I found that the ones from wooster labeled "very smooth" vs "smooth surfaces" produce a very spray like finish and self leveling.
Speed when sanding saves paper. If you move to slow the powder gunks up and slows the cutting process down by like 100%
And your advice is spot on about the dust. No reason to worry about it getting in the final product.
Epifanes Gloss.jpeg

Letting this sit for a week before I flip it over to apply bottom paint

·
Brandon, FL
9,323 Posts
If you use a sanding block you will get an amazing finish.

You did a spectacular job on your pirogue.

Reactions: jasonrl23

·
Plays with Glass...
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you use a sanding block you will get an amazing finish.

You did a spectacular job on your pirogue.
Thanks!

Im letting it sit to shrink (Im guessing it will be a month) and will block sand like you said. Its very flat right now so I might start off with 800 or 1000 grit and then buff.

·
Brandon, FL
9,323 Posts
Thanks!

Im letting it sit to shrink (Im guessing it will be a month) and will block sand like you said. Its very flat right now so I might start off with 800 or 1000 grit and then buff.
I wanted to give you that info if you did not already know of it.

Great build Jason.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts