Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of any good alternatives to:
https://denveroutfitters.com/product/the-classic-rod-vault-fly/

I usually just haul my rods in the skiff but am fishing a new area where the skiff can’t follow. Vehicle is a Toyota Tundra crew Max so I can fit them in the cab, but the bed is just less than 6’ so they will have to go on my camper roof rack.
Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
243 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,259 Posts
Yup. Riversmith. Buddy of mine has one on his truck for running around hunting juvi poon. He swears by it now...

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,145 Posts
Wether it’s the rod vault or the Riversmith they aren’t going to prevent theft of your rods, just a place to keep them from getting broken while travel which may be all your looking for.

The issues I have is the ones with the plastic end where your reels go it’s very easy to break into them if someone so desires.

My buddy left his key to his at home and it was locked. A flathead and a small hammer and I was into it in about 30 seconds.

There was a company based of Missoula Montana making some out of all sheet metal that looked much beefier.

I was going to build one out of muffler tubing and some other parts but abandoned this when I figured out my 9’ rods fit diagonally in my crew cab f-150.

·
Registered
Just livin’ my life easy come easy go...
747 Posts
I have the Sumo magnetic fly rod holders for running the beach, and they do very well. Obviously not lockable.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the Sumo magnetic fly rod holders for running the beach, and they do very well. Obviously not lockable.
Yeah, thought about these for running the beach but assume they are not secure enough for 80mph.

·
Registered
747 Posts
They might work, but it would suck if they failed at 80. Cost of one rig can justify the rod vault thing.

·
Forgotten Coaster
2,436 Posts
Had a similar situation with the new truck and short box (2019 Ford Ranger). Can't put rods in cab due to dog. So I had the guys at Metal Fabricators build me a rocket launcher. It'll slide over the leading edge of the box with four rod holders at 60-degree angle. Adding marine gasket inside the frame to cushion and prevent scratches. When I get to the boat shed it'll come right off and stow until I pull the rods back out of the boat and re-load for the trip home. Not lockable but a quick and simple solution for me.

Should be done with powder-coating this week. Will post shots when I pick it up.

·
Registered
229 Posts
If you don’t mind breaking the rods down to 2 pieces, build a tray out of 1 x 6 spruce and lay that across the back floor boards. When you want it hidden just push it under the folded down seats. That will work in a Ford Super Crew, don’t know about all pick ups but probably similar in most. Build the tray with a partial partition so you can lay the two pieces in the tray still strung up. When you stop, join the one ferrule and go. Pushed up under the seats and out of sight makes it about as secure as possible without going to extremes.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Considered these for the beach. Worried about sand getting under it and ruining the paint. Has that been an issue for you?
No sir. The feet are rubber coated and haven’t had sand built up around/under them yet. The front does go where the rock protector is. Also, not much sand typically gets on the top/front of the truck. Hard to see here but the 3M film that they like to put on trucks these days is under these feet.

upload_2019-3-17_16-20-6.jpeg

Reactions: sjrobin

·
Registered
747 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
No sir. The feet are rubber coated and haven’t had sand built up around/under them yet. The front does go where the rock protector is. Also, not much sand typically gets on the top/front of the truck. Hard to see here but the 3M film that they like to put on trucks these days is under these feet.

View attachment 65810
Looks good, I'll stop and say hey if I see you down the beach this summer.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Throw a remote thermometer in there and see if you want your high dollar gear getting that hot before you purchase. Lots of guys out west leave there rods in those full time. They sure are convenient but they cook rods and lines. I forget which rod manufacturer it was but they highly recommended not storing rods in there. I too keep mine in crew cab or skiff. If I had one of these I would definitely not leave rods in there longer than it took to transport them.

·
Brandon, FL
10,156 Posts
Yeah, thought about these for running the beach but assume they are not secure enough for 80mph.
Years ago I made a DIY one that went on the hood and the other went on the roof. Held 9'6" steelhead rods and they easily held 80.

·
I Love Skinny Water
5,517 Posts
I put my fly rods on a pvc shower rings rack that i saw on here. It's in my Ford Expedition zip tied to the clothes hooks. I never transport my fly rods on the boat. One they bounce too much and two they can be stolen
I carry my fly rods broken down in the rack or put together

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have a rod vault. Some things to keep in mind for saltwater fishermen... check the dimensions on their website before purchasing. I mainly wNted it for 1 piece tarpon rods. It says it can accommodate up to 4 “ reels... I can actually fit a 9 wt with a tibor sig 9-10 without neoprene pouch but it’s touching on both sides. An 8 wright with a 4 inch arbor reel fits perfect. 12 wt... not happening. On the nrx the first guide that is a recoil guide won’t fit in the tube.

Best bet is a diy. The rod vaults are well built, but it’s not rocket science.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts