Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Pondering what rod I want for new 9wt setup, mostly will be used for perms/bones in biscayne (already have my 8wt). Ill probably also pull it out on some windy days for beach snook. My first thought is a 9wt crosscurrent pro as I’ve heard good things about this rod and have a CC in 11wt for tarpon that I love. I’ve also seen a lot of good about the xi3. Any recommendations would be great, fly lines that match well too.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2,226 Posts
I love my Xi3 9wt. Easily one of the best rods they ever made for windy flats and/or bigger fish.

Grab a Scott Meridian while they are on sale, since it can be tough to find a nice condition Xi3.

G

·
Pondering what rod I want for new 9wt setup, mostly will be used for perms/bones in biscayne (already have my 8wt). Ill probably also pull it out on some windy days for beach snook. My first thought is a 9wt crosscurrent pro as I’ve heard good things about this rod and have a CC in 11wt for tarpon that I love. I’ve also seen a lot of good about the xi3. Any recommendations would be great, fly lines that match well too.
Winston B IIIsx mated with Rio Flats Pro.

·
Registered
158 Posts
FWIW, I have an 8wt xi3 and a CC pro-1 in a 9 wt, love the Pro-1 for my stroke and for heavier lines and heavier flies. Great fish fighting tool as well.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
696 Posts
I had a crosscurrent one piece ( I think it was the pro?) in an 8 wt. I also had an NRX pro 1 and an asquith. If you cast some newer rods I think you'll find it feels a bit dated by comparison.

·
Registered
54 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
The right answer is: Try before you buy. A high end rod bought on reputation but that doesn't fit your casting style is $$$ lost that you will never recover. Personally, I find allot of today's higher end rods need to be overlined to work for my needs. Yours may differ.
Best advice right there. He asked about two specific models so I threw my 2 cents in.

·
Registered
2019 Cast and Blast 17cc Flats
17 Posts
Best advice so far! You'd never buy a car (or a boat for that matter) without test driving it first. The same goes for fly rods. If you can find shops that carry a wide variety of brands and rod lines, take advantage of it. Then try to support them for providing you that valuable service, which is something you can only do at a brick and mortar vendor.

I urge you to consider all your choices too. My user name obviously shows where my loyalty lies, but that's for good reason. Take a look (and cast) the TFO Axiom 2 X. I was just in the Keys catching bones with it. I'd put it against any of the rods mentioned so far, and choose it hands down. You can't beat the price and the lifetime warranty either.

In the end, it really comes down to what you like and the rod that best suits your casting style. As a good friend of mine says, "It's more about the Indian than it is the arrow."

·
Registered
653 Posts
One thing in that 9 weight range is that those rods tend to be heavier anyway so fatigue comes into play sooner swinging heavier rods, all other things being equal. The only 9 weight I have currently own is the glass Echo 8’ Quickshot and that rod is heavy. It’s a special situation, limited casting rod for me, but I’d look to get a high end, low swing weight 9 weight if I planned on making a day of it over and over again.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.