Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestions for what a good rod and reel combo are for young children in saltwater (6 and 4)? They aren't quite double hauling my 8 wt yet so I figured I'd start them somewhere else :).

·
Brandon, FL
10,094 Posts
Unless you want to spend your time untangling birds nests, hard to beat the Zebco 303.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
I would suggest your older spin gear. My daughter caught a Florida sportsman worthy trout and made it in the magazine at age 5. And caught her biggest redfish while catching bait all on my gear. So I figure those memories are worth using good gear. Kids won’t really hurt a reel. Might not buy the most expensive rod. She uses a Penn reel and I believe an Andy rod I picked up at Walmart.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Unfortunately most of the kid rod reels are junk. The little $12 combos have drag seize up on a pinfish!

I ended up getting my son (2 at the time now 3) a pleuger president xt with 6 lb braid and ugly stick light (micro rod). With this he was able to cut right to learning spinning reels and is able to catch bigger fish (redfish etc). Obviously when he was two I would assist him on reeling in the fish and still stay close even though he can now reel in by himself (don’t want $100 combo going over the side!). I don’t think a zebco or spider man rod can handle bigger fish nor last for over a year in a saltwater environment

B

·
0 Posts
The 33 series is pretty decent though. Don’t count them out or do, your choice.

·
Registered
Just livin’ my life easy come easy go...
727 Posts
I have used those zebcos before but recently picked up a daiwa spin caster. Form factor is better than the 33 and the drag seems to work well. I was very tired of dealing with wind knots from spinning gear and my daughter likes to reel right handed. My wife using spinning left handed so that was part of the pain too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts