Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad and I just got done rebuilding a 1989 Gheenoe.  It has a 2006 25hp johnson tiller.  We made front and rear platforms with PE foam and added a false floor.  Everything we did was top notch but I think it added quite a bit of weight.  The setup is as follows.  I have one of the larger batteries for the trolling motor in the front third of the boat.  The middle of the boat consists of a combo cooler and bait well that runs lengthwise.  I have a 6 gallon gas tank in the rear.

I am fairly certain the motor is mechanically sound as I have had a mechanic look at it.  Good compression, good spark, clean carb, etc....

The problem is the boat is very slow.  With just me in it and no gear I am only running about 18 mph.  I do not have a tach installed.  I am under the impression that the boat should run atleast in the upper 20's or at least be fast enough to scare me enough were I can't stand and run the tiller. 

Is this enough info for someone to recommend a prop?  I am looking for higher top end speed because I can't keep up with other similar boats in the Everglades. 

Would like to insert a photo of the boat but cannot figure out how.

Thanks in advance
Brian

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
Welcome !

What is the lu ratio ?

if similar to merc 12 pitch is pretty good

cav plate should be 1.5" above boat bottom

boat should weigh less than 250 empty with no motor

·
I Love microskiff.com!
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The prop that came with the motor is an Aluminum 10.3 X 13, but I actually had a SS 10 X 15 in the house and put that on after finalizing the boat. After not being able to come close to keeping up with a similar Gheenoe with an 1989 25HP in the Everglades (and he was carrying all the extra gas and supplies for both of us in his boat), I decided to put back on the Alum 10.3 X 13. Although I do not have a tach installed, the speed of the boat did not change very much between these 2 props.
-And like I said, I am fairly sure the motor is running properly and is set up correctly.
-Is it possible that a prop can change the top speed from 18 to 28 mph?
*Quickly realizing I do not have the money to properly maintain a boat.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I don't think it's your prop no way your going to gain 10mph if you are already running 13" and tried a 15". I would check to make sure your butterfly is opening all the way on the carb.

Something else is wrong or that's one heavy Gheenoe!!!

Where are you located?

·
Won "Do More With Less" Award!
1,715 Posts
Check your throttle linkage and make sure it go all the way open with a carb.

Make sure carb is clean.

Check your prop and see if u have a spun hub?

your classic with 25hp Will hit 30mph easily....

·
Registered
786 Posts
I had a classic with a 25 Johnson for years. With two 200 lb fishermen and gear I would cruise at 25 mph on a smooth morning run. Top out speed with only me was close to 30 mph.

Frank_S

1 - 7 of 7 Posts