Right PROP?? Rebuilt 1989 Gheenoe Classic with 25hp johnson=SLOWWWWW

Discussion in 'Prop Shop' started by bamitche, Aug 23, 2012.

1. bamitche

bamitche I Love microskiff.com!

My dad and I just got done rebuilding a 1989 Gheenoe.  It has a 2006 25hp johnson tiller.  We made front and rear platforms with PE foam and added a false floor.  Everything we did was top notch but I think it added quite a bit of weight.  The setup is as follows.  I have one of the larger batteries for the trolling motor in the front third of the boat.  The middle of the boat consists of a combo cooler and bait well that runs lengthwise.  I have a 6 gallon gas tank in the rear.

I am fairly certain the motor is mechanically sound as I have had a mechanic look at it.  Good compression, good spark, clean carb, etc....

The problem is the boat is very slow.  With just me in it and no gear I am only running about 18 mph.  I do not have a tach installed.  I am under the impression that the boat should run atleast in the upper 20's or at least be fast enough to scare me enough were I can't stand and run the tiller. 

Is this enough info for someone to recommend a prop?  I am looking for higher top end speed because I can't keep up with other similar boats in the Everglades. 

Would like to insert a photo of the boat but cannot figure out how.

Thanks in advance
    Brian

2. noeettica

noeettica Well-Known Member

Welcome !

What is the lu ratio ?

if similar to merc 12 pitch is pretty good

cav plate should be 1.5" above boat bottom

boat should weigh less than 250 empty with no motor

3. noeettica

noeettica Well-Known Member

I'll post up a photo send it to :

Noettica@discreetdata.com

4. bamitche

bamitche I Love microskiff.com!

The prop that came with the motor is an Aluminum 10.3 X 13, but I actually had a SS 10 X 15 in the house and put that on after finalizing the boat. After not being able to come close to keeping up with a similar Gheenoe with an 1989 25HP in the Everglades (and he was carrying all the extra gas and supplies for both of us in his boat), I decided to put back on the Alum 10.3 X 13. Although I do not have a tach installed, the speed of the boat did not change very much between these 2 props.
    -And like I said, I am fairly sure the motor is running properly and is set up correctly.
    -Is it possible that a prop can change the top speed from 18 to 28 mph?
    *Quickly realizing I do not have the money to properly maintain a boat.

5. Creek Runner

Creek Runner Well-Known Member

I don't think it's your prop no way your going to gain 10mph if you are already running 13" and tried a 15". I would check to make sure your butterfly is opening all the way on the carb.

Something else is wrong or that's one heavy Gheenoe!!!

Where are you located?

6. Flyline

Flyline Won "Do More With Less" Award!

Check your throttle linkage and make sure it go all the way open with a carb.

Make sure carb is clean.

Check your prop and see if u have a spun hub?

your classic with 25hp Will hit 30mph easily....

7. Frank_Sebastian

Frank_Sebastian Well-Known Member

I had a classic with a 25 Johnson for years. With two 200 lb fishermen and gear I would cruise at 25 mph on a smooth morning run. Top out speed with only me was close to 30 mph.

Frank_S