Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys..... I have one of the old 1998 Pathfinder 17T skiffs. The boat has a MinnKota Riptide 55 Sp I Pilot 48 trolling motor. I currently have two deep cycle batteries in the back hatch along with the cranking battery for Yamaha motor. My trolling motor batteries need replacing and wonder if you guys can recommend if I should go to the Lithium batteries, what your favorite brand and model would be and should I wire them parallel like the current batteries on board? Also looking for recommendation for onboard charger and any breakers that should be installed.I thought about putting the batteries up front in compartment and nervous about having them in same closed hatch as aluminum gas tank. Getting weight out of the stern/back hatch would be great but not if causing safety concern up front beside gas tank. Thanks in advance for any guidance!

Attachments

·
I Love microskiff.com!
96 Posts
I just put a group 29 battery in my front hatch today. It seems to be fine I did make a small starboard plate for the battery to sit on next to the tank.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just put a group 29 battery in my front hatch today. It seems to be fine I did make a small starboard plate for the battery to sit on next to the tank.
thanks for the reply and I am leaning that way as well.....I am probably worried too much about having battery near a gas tank

·
I Love microskiff.com!
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Isn’t the 55 a 12v? If so just run it off a single battery and save the weight of a second.
You are right.....it is a 12 volt and hopefully if I go to top shelf lithium battery, one will give me all I need for a day of fishing ..... thanks for the guidance

·
Plays with Glass...
1,635 Posts
I just built an electric pontoon so all of this is familiar.

A group 29 at 122ah will give you a decent amount of run time with the digital throttle that the iPilot has.

The charger I bought is a Minn Kota MK 210D. Has a lot of safety/features for very the price. If you upgrade to two batteries you’ll also have a second bank.

The breaker for a 55# MK needs to be 60amp. MKR 19 is the part number. I went cheap with no name Amazon breakers and regretted it. One broke on the first trip.

I’d reconsider lithium as they do get hot and you’ll need a special charger to make sure all the cells are balanced. Not even sure what price you’d be looking at for that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts