Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone using a rhodan? Considering adding a trolling motor to fish dock lights.

I have had 2 Minn Kota I pilots in the past and the spot lock always let's you drift well off the mark before it kicks into overdrive trying to get back into place.

Would like to hear input.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I had a Rhodan on my larger CC I just sold, loved it! 3500lbs and the 24v 80# always held within a few feet is some crazy currents and chop. I also like the simplicity and size of the remote.

Their customer service is outstanding. Had one issue while under warranty and Rhodan overnighted a return box to send it back for testing. They replaced a sensor and I had it back within 5 days of sending it.

Getting ready to buy a 12v for the skiff in the coming week. Lots of info/reviews on THT

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had a Rhodan on my larger CC I just sold, loved it! 3500lbs and the 24v 80# always held within a few feet is some crazy currents and chop. I also like the simplicity and size of the remote.

Their customer service is outstanding. Had one issue while under warranty and Rhodan overnighted a return box to send it back for testing. They replaced a sensor and I had it back within 5 days of sending it.

Getting ready to buy a 12v for the skiff in the coming week. Lots of info/reviews on THT
Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I can't say anything on the rhodan other than I've heard good things. Between the other 2 I prefer Motorguide, though the minn kota has a couple advantages in my opinion. I currently own both, the xi5 on my action craft, the minn kota on my sm heron 16. Pros for xi5-quieter, cheaper, my experience with customer service was very good, much smaller and lighter remote, more accurate.
Pros for minn kota--little more durable(paint seems to stay on better than my xi5), easier to deploy, I like the color better.
That being said, I have owned the Xi5 for much longer. It has been used and abused for 5 years, with only one real issue. My motherboard went out 3 months out of warranty and they still fixed for free. And replaced my parts that were missing paint.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
462 Posts
Have you used the new iPilots? Mine is the older version, and like you, I notice a decent bit of drifting away before it gets locked in. However, my buddy has a new one and it works much, much better. Is quieter too.

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have you used the new iPilots? Mine is the older version, and like you, I notice a decent bit of drifting away before it gets locked in. However, my buddy has a new one and it works much, much better. Is quieter too.
Haven't used a newer one. Last one I had on my old boat was probably back in 2016.

Also debating 12v vs 24 v. Really will only use it for dock lights but the current can be heavy so not sure a 12 v will cut it .

·
I Love microskiff.com!
158 Posts
Ive owned multiple Minn Kota ipilots, and most recently a Rhodan- all 24 v. I dont think ill own a Rhodan again. Yes, the Rhodan spot lock drifted less, and i did really like the LineX-coated head. The Rhodan lacked an Autopilot feature (that MinnKota button with “N” and upward arrow) which may not seem like a big deal, but ultimately means many more button pushes are required to maintain a course with the Rhodan. Also, there was a slower response time after pressing a button on the Rhodan that i found annoying. Finally, the Rhodan prop i had was quite thin and brittle at the leading edge, and broke very easily with light contact on oysters that the Minn Kota prop would hardly have noticed. All in all, as much as i was hoping to really like the Rhodan, i really didnt.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I ha
I can vouch. I have a new Riptide 80 with IPilot and bluetooth. It keeps me within 3 feet of my anchor lock. Love it.

·
Registered
Just livin’ my life easy come easy go...
849 Posts
No autopilot would be a deal breaker for me. I love that feature on the iPilot. And I’d go 24v if you have the room.

·
FlounderPounder
1,239 Posts
I haven’t had a Rhodan so I don’t have any thoughtful insight on them. I have had two Xi5s, an original wireless remote Motorguide and an IPilot Ulterra.

First off, I would only ever buy an Ulterra again if I had a tower boat. Just for the simple fact that you wouldn’t have to get down everytime to deploy the unit. I also would have a spare ipilot, non Ulterra unit on the same boat for when the Ulterra decides to do what it wants and not work.

I like the Xi5 because it turns faster than my ipilot did and has a much smaller remote than the ipilot came with. The anchor feature works great too. I feel like my Xi5 is also quieter.

They make an xi3 now without the “fangs” on the front of the trolling motor which is nice. Unfortunately for me it only offered in 12v and 24v.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Can’t say anything about the Rhodan and not ready to spend my money on one having not known anyone personally with one. Always been a fan of Minn Kota and have had no issues with the many boats I have had them on. The new Xi units look nice but don’t like the remote with no screen.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Also, with Minn Kota, if your finder happens to be a compatible brand, you can run your trolling motor off of it to your saved way points. You can also follow the contour lines on your map chip. So if you want to follow a 6 foot contour line, with autopilot you can. The way I like to use it is when scanning with my side finder I can mark several fish holding spots on my screen and then tell the motor to go back and hit each one.

·
FlounderPounder
1,239 Posts
Also, with Minn Kota, if your finder happens to be a compatible brand, you can run your trolling motor off of it to your saved way points. You can also follow the contour lines on your map chip. So if you want to follow a 6 foot contour line, with autopilot you can. The way I like to use it is when scanning with my side finder I can mark several fish holding spots on my screen and then tell the motor to go back and hit each one.
This could be something to look at as well depending on what unit you have currently or what unit you plan on getting. I have a Lowrance unit on my current boat which is another reason I switched to an Xi5. The motorguide units are compatible with Lowrance (and I have heard Simrad units, this I cannot confirm. Both are Navico units so it's possible) for GPS tracking and waypoints. The Ipilot units are compatible with Humminbird GPS'.

So this could be of use to you as well.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I can't say anything on the rhodan other than I've heard good things. Between the other 2 I prefer Motorguide, though the minn kota has a couple advantages in my opinion. I currently own both, the xi5 on my action craft, the minn kota on my sm heron 16. Pros for xi5-quieter, cheaper, my experience with customer service was very good, much smaller and lighter remote, more accurate.
Pros for minn kota--little more durable(paint seems to stay on better than my xi5), easier to deploy, I like the color better.
That being said, I have owned the Xi5 for much longer. It has been used and abused for 5 years, with only one real issue. My motherboard went out 3 months out of warranty and they still fixed for free. And replaced my parts that were missing paint.
What model Minn Kota are you using on the Heron 16? Thrust? Are you happy with that one or would you get something different now?

·
I Love microskiff.com!
40 Posts
I have a 2017 24v 80# terrova on my 20 ft flats boat and use it at the inlet in new smyrna and also recently at Bahia Honda in some very strong currents. It holds very well and at Bahia honda around the bridges those tidal currents were cranking while I was there. I rarely use an anchor anymore.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I can't find the reference any longer but I remember reading about a year ago that the Rhodan was more efficient; meaning it used less juice from the batteries to produce the same thrust.

My MK 24v, 80lb is not that quiet when making heading corrections and the spot lock is not very good and it is abrupt. I only use that feature on a reef where there is no danger of drifting into something and its abrupt corrections are not going to spook everything within 30 yards.

When the time comes, I'm going Rhodan.

·
Registered
280 Posts
What model Minn Kota are you using on the Heron 16? Thrust? Are you happy with that one or would you get something different now?
I have the riptide 55 ipilot. I'm fairly happy with it. Was really expecting it to pull my light boat better. It struggles in the strong currents. Not very keen on going 24 volt though. If I could choose it would probably be the xi5 again for the reasons I stated before.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts