Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's hear the pros and cons.

I am personally not a fan of the mosquito. I think it is a wet boat. It is very particular to the backcountry and doesn't have any lift with the ride.

I've never been on the salt marsh 16, but would like to hear your thoughts.

My opinion is my opinion and you can get triggerd about the mosquito portion, but maybe its the way this mosquito or operator handles theirs.
Help me come to a decision.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
169 Posts
Haven’t been on a mosquito but had the heron for a year and absolutely loved it. Boat was super dry and ran awesome in chop. Mine would float in 6” setup bare bones tiller. Tabs are a must for the heron though. Really kick myself in the ass for selling it but it was just to pretty for my type of fishing.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haven’t been on a mosquito but had the heron for a year and absolutely loved it. Boat was super dry and ran awesome in chop. Mine would float in 6” setup bare bones tiller. Tabs are a must for the heron though. Really kick myself in the ass for selling it but it was just to pretty for my type of fishing.
Why did you sell it? Also where do you fish? What situations do you find yourself in?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He fishes the northern end of the Everglades ie Everglades city many oyster bars. Treacherous if you don't know where you're going I think he got a john boat
I fish that area. There's oysters but not to the point where I'd swap my boat out because of it. Interesting decision.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
169 Posts
I fish Chokoloskee Everglades area but fish a lot of back country creeks that my heron would have gotten beaten up in pretty bad. Fiberglass doesn’t hold as well as aluminum when your wedging it between over, and under trees. Seems anymore you can’t go many places around my area that there isn’t someone already fishing. I loved the boat but just went a different route before I destroyed it. All these conch fish builds have me thinking about going that route once my youngest gets into school.

·
Panhandler
2,716 Posts
Let's hear the pros and cons.

I am personally not a fan of the mosquito. I think it is a wet boat. It is very particular to the backcountry and doesn't have any lift with the ride.
Operator error. My Mosquito is very dry and I cover a lot of open water for long distances. That boat likes to run so you've got to give it a little gas. If it's choppy, simply tab the bow tab a bit and it handles fine. Cannot speak to the Heron, but I'm very happy with my choice and apparently so are many others based on sales since the Mosquito launched.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I also have no experience with the SM but my Mosquito is dry except for the scenario of dropping off of plane in a bad cross-wind.

Perhaps your test ride driver was plowing just below plane as, when I was doing my engine break-in and trying to not break 3000 RPMs, that WAS a wet ride.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
The Mosquito Is super smooth and dry once you’re on plane, and less you’re in a bad crosswind. It can be wet jumping up on plane or coming off plane but if you know how to drive it, that’s only a short time period. It handles big water with the best of them. Overall, it rides like a Cadillac in rougher water.

Reactions: Vincent A Sawchuk
1 - 10 of 10 Posts