Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1) Okay when i put my johnson into reverse it will not move at all, it sounds like its not going in to the right gear? maybe?
When i try to put it in reverse it goes "Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click" really fast and then when i put the throttle further down it just revs loud and then keeps clicking?

2) also when i'm running full speed i can feel the engine going really high in rpm's and then going lower and higher like a roller coaster. Then when i am idling it will cut off unless i am going faster than idle?

Carbs?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Is it a tiller motor or remote?

If it is a tiller, it sounds like your clutch dog in your lower unit is shot.

If it is a remote, the shift linkage might need adjustment.

If you drain the lower unit and find metal flakes and chunks, it is the clutch dog, based on your description.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
114 Posts
I would try adjusting the shift cable to allow more travel in the reverse direction first. You could also disconnect the shift cable and see if you can shift into reverse manually. This will tell you if it is the adjustment or a clutch dog problem

·
Registered
90 Posts
okay just not high speeds
No high speeds. Also watch shifting from froward to reverse while the prop is still at speed

Have you checked the magnet on the LU drain screw for chunks or shavings?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts