Retirement plan

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jboriol, May 16, 2018 at 9:30 PM.

1. jboriol

jboriol I Love microskiff.com!

0E9422C6-6292-43FB-B205-8B5B759DEF5C.jpeg So I had this view at lunch the other day...pretty much my dream combo.

Made me rethink my retirement plan. 1/2 the year in Venice, LA and 1/2 the year in Bahamas.

I’m only 2 kids cars, 2 college tuition bills, and 4,380 days away.

2. trekker

trekker Well-Known Member

3. yobata

yobata I Love microskiff.com!

How does one launch and retrieve that skiff? Or is that only done in port with a crane?

4. SomaliPirate

SomaliPirate Well-Known Member

I would need to run a lot of square groupers to afford that setup.

5. mwolaver

mwolaver waterman 16

I need to know this... I'm 29 days away from retirement and my 16' waterman will look good on that boat. ;-) I guess I should ask the wife first...

topnative2 and Carivera like this.
  6. Pierson

Pierson Well-Known Member

giphy.gif

7. jboriol

Ask for forgiveness

8. ifsteve

ifsteve Well-Known Member

Hey buddy thats an awesome plan. For quite awhile my thinking was a 35' sportfisher and a flats skiff. Half the year in the Keys and half the year in Costa Rica. But then reality set in and I had to "settle" for half time chasing redfish and half time chasing trout and ducks......thinking about it I ended up with a better plan after all!

9. jboriol

If I give up Starbucks until I retire I might be able to fill the fuel tank once.

10. makin moves

makin moves Well-Known Member

Lower your expectations and you will be living the high life before you know it. Redneck-Houseboat.jpg

11. lemaymiami

lemaymiami Well-Known Member

The first (and only) time I retired - I was 47... after a month or two I was working again. The next time I retire will be when they bury me. Had a fair number of friends retire - and they were gone in less than six months. During that retirement I mentioned I went back to school and got my captain's license and have been guiding full time these past 22 years. Wouldn't change a thing, either.

By the way every boat is trouble --the more "boat" you have - the more trouble (just another of those "ask me how I know propositions....").

topnative2, EdK13, flysalt060 and 7 others like this.
  12. ifsteve

ifsteve Well-Known Member

Retirement is the second no make that third best thing I ever did behind getting married and having two boys. I had a fantastic career. But I like the freedom to hunt and fish when its good and not around the workday!!!!

13. not2shabby

not2shabby Well-Known Member

I don't see it in the photo, but most of these tender configurations have a davit crane somewhere or a portable davit that can be mounted on the deck. Only has to be able to lift 1,200lbs or so. Should be able to launch and load anywhere.

Last edited: May 17, 2018 at 4:24 PM
    jboriol and yobata like this.
  14. jboriol

I like your 2nd career plan, think about it often. 2019 plan is to get my Capt. Lic, something I’ve always wanted to do and then who knows.

Carivera likes this.
  15. Carivera

Carivera Well-Known Member

I hope to transition to guiding when I get to retire from my first career in approximately 4,745 days. Probably will bounce back and forth from southwest Florida to Blue Ridge Mountains in Georgia, fly fishing both. Fingers crossed.

16. Plumb Crazy

Plumb Crazy Active Member

I love this site...Just to know when I dream... I am not alone..

Boatbrains and Carivera like this.
  17. BM_Barrelcooker

BM_Barrelcooker I Love microskiff.com!

I’d make sure to stay in the cocaine trade.
    Weed is way too nickel and dime. And the Meth customer base is so darn erratic.

18. mwolaver

mwolaver waterman 16

Like some others, a captains license is in my retirement plans. Our local sea school can combine that with an in depth class on operation and maintenance of a vessel this size. From docking to fixing the water maker.

I've been around the guiding business in South florida for many years and it is just too much work for me. More power to you, Capt bob. I'll update ya'll in about three months.

topnative2 likes this.
  19. EdK13

EdK13 I Love microskiff.com!

Heck, at-least there will be plenty of potential clients. Florida Republica will have a population of at-least 45 million in 4300 days..

sjrobin, jboriol and topnative2 like this.