Restore or RestoMod - 72 Lemans Conv.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by iMacattack, Dec 28, 2009.

1. iMacattack

iMacattack busy, too busy

I've been doing a lot of research, studying pictures and other builds. I have been developing my first car build strategy.

I have been going back and forth between restoring the car to as good of factory as I can or doing it as a restomod. Keep the parts that make it look good, but replace everything else with modern components.

Before I do anything I want to figure out the path I'm taking to the best of my ability.

My concept is to pay homage to Gran Turismo Omologato by transforming the Lemans into a comfortable Grand Touring car. NOT a GTO clone. A car that the family can jump in and go for a road trip. So first and foremost safety and reliability, then performance. My build schedule would be something like this:

1. Leave the 350 but freshen it up with parts to make it reliable. Currently it has a 2 bbl so I'd like to upgrade it to a quad jet possibly. For the fun factor add dual exhaust etc. Also reconnect the factory AC. It's been disconnected for Lord knows how long.
    2. The car has power brakes, but upgrade then to four wheel disks.
    3. Suspension upgrades (I need to research this better to determine the route I'd like to go.) lower the car maybe 1.5" or so. This will depend on the rims I go with.
    4. I'm not sure exactly what I want to do on the interior, but would like to upgrade the seats to something more comfortable for long drives. The sound system will be upgraded but done as a hidden system. Having done sound systems on several cars over the years this is one area that I have the most expertise with.
    5. Paint and body, unfortunately my Grandfather seamed to use the bumper and fenders to "feel" his way into the garage. While not extensive it will need to be addressed. The entire front clip needs to be pulled off and re aligned. The lower vanlence needs to be replaced and while it's off I'd like to add a chin spoiler I've seen on other rides. The trunk has a luggage rack, ick! That has to go! The color of the car also has my attention... While not horrible, I'm not a huge fan of yellow. This one is tough as I know what it takes to properly change the color of the car and I don't know if I want to pull a frame off to change the color of the car. This one I'm still contemplating.

Again my idea to to make a comfortable clean looking Lemans not GTO with some modern performance and style upgrades to help clean up it's lines and make it a reliable ride.

Opinions?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. copperhead

copperhead Well-Known Member

Don't forget the trailer hitch arrangement. 

Convertible going down A1A through Islamorada with that classic Native in tow...now that's a flashback!

(Detroit actually built cars that could tow;  they want to make you think you need a truck these days).

Would you really need to lower the suspension if you went a lower profile wheel & tire from 70's design? 

Or you just going with the '26's'...

They might be tough to fit on the Continental trailer...

:)

3. iMacattack

First thing I removed was the trailer hitch... I have a truck to tow. ;D

In my opinion the only thing that should come in diameters up to 26" are pizzas! :D

Nope I'll suffer with lowly 18's I think.

4. tom_in_orl

tom_in_orl Founder of Microskiff, Member of the Gheenoe Army

I have no idea where to begin with a 72 Lemans. Its not the type of classic car I am use to. I did look up the NADA value and was very impressed. It must have a good following.

Still, I have seen some of the cars you have worked on in the past and I am excited to see what this one will look like when you are done.

5. iMacattack

Don't hold your breath... it's going to be a long project. but I will do updates as I go along.

Thanks.

6. tguasjr

tguasjr Fish Finaddict

I would resto-mod it. Aluminum intake, 4 barrel with vacuum secondaries, mild cam, and exhaust. Lower it on 18" torque thrust wheels in black, Get some newer chevy seats and reupholster them in a more modern brown pattern or go with after market race seats with a 5 point harness for looks. Leave the luggage rack and put a picnic basket on there for the sleeper look. Rubbing compound and a good wax and enjoy driving it. Obviously not in this order for finances sake! ;) :D

7. paint it black

paint it black Paddling away...

We can make that body look and shine better than it did off the showroom floor.
    Let me know!

8. iMacattack

Don't worry, you have some work ahead of you... ;D

I'm seriously considering changing the color. I'm not a huge fan of yellow. I will talking to you sometime this year about that.

I want to layout a plan before I just start bolting parts on or off.

Cheers

9. iMacattack

also we will need to realign the front clip. is that something you can do?

10. iMacattack

I like these rims, American Racing Torq-Thrust II. These are 17" I'm thinking 18" with a 2" drop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is one with 18" Rims
    [​IMG]

11. brew1891

brew1891 Well-Known Member

Resto-mod for sure.

At least 18" wheels.

Do some mild work on the engine.

12. paint it black

paint it black Paddling away...

Yeah that shouldn't be a problem.
    And definitely plan it all out before you do anything to it.
    IF not you'll end up like me with a project car and a closet full of brand new chrome plated parts, new motor for it, and the car not ready to have the parts put on....lol

I take all my free time and use it to fish, so I don't got time to finish my own projects.   :D
    It's crazy how that works.