Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
321 - 340 of 342 Posts

·
Registered
'04 HB Devilray Merc 25 HP
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #321 ·
at the home front we’re back laying some more glass on the inside of the console. It’s important to note that the steps are just rinse and repeat to get solid consistent wet out glass(more than likely too much epoxy).
1. Scratch up with no higher than 120 grit
2. Clean very thoroughly with acetone or some solvent.
3. I use neat epoxy first with a brush to wet the foam and surfaces I’ll be laying glass.
4. Mix thickened epoxy to cover the neat with a paddle ensureing all the low spots are filled in and it doesn’t have any pockets to trap air under the glass.
5. prewet out glass (if doing small pieces) on a plastic bag and carefully pick piece up and place in desired location. Use hands or a roller to proceed pushing air out from under the glass.You do notneed alot of pressure to do this. Light hand or finger pressure is plenty.
6. continue to monitor the glass so you Don’t get dry spots or areas where glass would raise Up.
Note: I prefer to have the last layer as 10 oz because it drapes over curved very nicely and it can be scratched up pretty easily and quickly with a palm sander.
it also helps greatly to have all your pieces precut and placed in an orderly fashion to quickly grab wet out and place

Wood Fluid Automotive exterior Rectangle Gas

Table Wood Floor Tool Flooring
Hs

Wood Fluid Rectangle Composite material Gas

Gas Tints and shades Stairs Wood Rectangle

Rectangle Wood Gas Tints and shades Stairs

Rectangle Gas Wood Tints and shades Concrete

about 680 grams of epoxy used tonight. One layer of 17 oz biax on the flange top with a 17 oz on top that goes down to the original console with a 10 oz topper. I also stagger in pieces to bolster the corners with 17 and 10 oz pieces.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #322 ·
And we did a little bit more trailer work.

front cross member will probably get moved foreword and the middle backward to better support the Boat.
Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Automotive tire Road surface

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #323 ·
Here some pics while @Charles Hadley is working on the bottom of the hull. Moral of the story is that the hull was painted before but with poor quality materials and didn’t bond correctly. The best is using (poly over poly) you get some element of chemical bonding. Whereas with epoxy over poly you need to be very meticulous with cleaning and prep to get the best mechanical adhesion with isn’t as strong as chemical bonding.

Road surface Asphalt Gas Automotive tire Concrete

Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Motor vehicle Rolling

Wood Chair Floor Flooring Tints and shades

Motor vehicle Floor Gas Urban design Flooring

Automotive tire Asphalt Automotive exterior Composite material Gas

Asphalt Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Composite material Road surface

Wood Automotive tire Flooring Road surface Tints and shades

Wood Asphalt Road surface Urban design Gas

Sculpture Wood Gas Hat Automotive tire

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
On your trailer what is the plan at the back for an anchor point for stern straps? I'm at that stage on my trailer.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #325 ·
Tire Plant Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire

On your trailer what is the plan at the back for an anchor point for stern straps? I'm at that stage on my trailer.
I’m likely going to have a removable setup of straps that use a clearance hole. I’ve gone thru 2 sets of bolt on transom straps on my other boat and I can’t ever seem get enough anti corrosion spray to stop the rust. It should work once I move the trailer brake lights up to the guide posts I’ll hook on the I beams end plates to slip an hook into.

Circled in blue.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Here some pics while @Charles Hadley is working on the bottom of the hull. Moral of the story is that the hull was painted before but with poor quality materials and didn’t bond correctly. The best is using (poly over poly) you get some element of chemical bonding. Whereas with epoxy over poly you need to be very meticulous with cleaning and prep to get the best mechanical adhesion with isn’t as strong as chemical bonding.

View attachment 218148
Definitely poor adhesion of the prior but interested in knowing what Charlie is going to prime it with and what paint is going over it for a finish coat.

( If I used polyester resin for my repairs. )
If I was doing it, After making my repairs where needed I would put a polyester spray on filler on like Evercoat Slick Sand, Block it flat, before painting spray on 1coat of epoxy sealer, let it dry for 30 minuets, no sanding and paint with whatever you choose.

( If I used epoxy resin to do my repairs)
If I was doing it, After making my repairs where needed I would put AwlGrip high build primer on it, while that's still wet spray on 2 coats of 545, Block it flat, sand with 400, blow it off, wipe it down and paint with whatever you choose.

This is just what I would do, what works for me. Im not trying to tell anyone how to do their work but would like to hear how Charlie Hadley goes at it.

·
Registered
530 Posts

View attachment 218147
View attachment 218148
View attachment 218154
View attachment 218152
View attachment 218150
View attachment 218149
View attachment 218153
View attachment 218155
View attachment 218151
Absolutely beautiful work. What is being used to strip the old paint off? It looks like a hand plane or electric planer scraped the paint off??? @CharlesHadley the Bonefisher and HB look better than new.

321 - 340 of 342 Posts