Lowcountry Degen
2021 Conchfish 17.8
2,126 Posts

·
Registered
'04 HB Devilray Merc 25 HP
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #283 ·
Almost done. Have the starboard hatch mostly scratched in and started joining the middle hatch to each side. I’ll probably have some touch up to do after finish sanding but not too bad.
Rectangle Wood Paint Gas Automotive exterior

Automotive lighting Gas Wood Glass Motor vehicle

·
Registered
“10K Islands adrift on a skiff,my worries escape me,with the flick of my wrist”
1,065 Posts
This is what I use a lot at the shop. Along with a a 1/2” belt sander and a pile of custom blocks I acquired over the years. But the oscillating tool bits are my go to for tight stuff. If you don’t already have one you need one. I have a old school Fein multi master. I have used it to remodel 4 houses and weekly at work on fiberglass for trimming and sanding. Great little tool the dremel version is a third the price though.

Product Font Screenshot Parallel Brand

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #290 ·
@jonny i knew they should have something out there for a multi tool. I’ve got the dewalt and it’s been pretty good so far. Small areas are just touch to work in period. I’ve already started my own collection of sanding blocks.

·
Registered
“10K Islands adrift on a skiff,my worries escape me,with the flick of my wrist”
1,065 Posts
I use those pointy carbide sanding bits also to knock the lumps down before sanding. You just can’t lean on those contour bits too much. I go through a couple of sets a year. But man my fingertips are very appreciative😂

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #292 ·
Little dolphin has an appointment today with @Charles Hadley. So I was making sure everything is getting ready for that trip and I saw the bow eye is not right. Turns out there’s wood in there. (Weird in a seemingly all foam boat). Not to worry we can fix this.

Attachments

·
Registered
86 Posts
Are you sure that foam board you are installing for a backing plate is going to be strong enough that it won't crush under tension of the bow eye ? At minimum I think you should be using some Coosa. The bow eye is one place I wouldn't see being a problem if it was backed with a chunk of wood. I see you have several pieces of glass cut so maybe you'll be fine.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #294 ·
Are you sure that foam board you are installing for a backing plate is going to be strong enough that it won't crush under tension of the bow eye ? At minimum I think you should be using some Coosa. The bow eye is one place I wouldn't see being a problem if it was backed with a chunk of wood. I see you have several pieces of glass cut so maybe you'll be fine.
Good eye. Lots of glass went down.
3 layers of 10 oz and 3 layers of 17 0z bi ax for a total of almost 80 oz of glass.
Wood Trunk Geological phenomenon Bedrock Landscape

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #295 ·
Wood Gas Building Machine City

Got to fish with @Charles Hadley today after dropping the boat off for spraying the topside and a bottom job. It’s weird not working on this afternoon. It’s in very good hands and I can’t wait to see the progress once it’s flipped in his shop.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #298 ·
Sanded flat with 120-150 and gently burned thru in a couple of spots, I’m probably not going to sweat it. It’s small areas on top and bottom of the hatch.
Automotive tire Wood Grey Floor Flooring

Hood Grille Wood Automotive tire Grey
Wood Grey Flooring Floor Line

Wood Grey Flooring Floor Material property

Building Wood Flooring Machine City

281 - 300 of 342 Posts