Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 20 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
'04 HB Devilray Merc 25 HP
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It won’t be fast but it will be thorough! The hull is a 1981 Super Skiff. It is wood hull with delams and wet wood all thru the transom and hull.

step 1 is complete! Getting both boats to fit in the garage (sort of) the devilray is in need of some after a bad prop strike with a submerged mammal…

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Following, interested in seeing what you are going to do.
1. Demo all the way to the skin of the boat
2. Replace wood with probably pvc 60 and re glass inside
3. New stringers that match (hopefully) current production boats
4. 2 rear facing rod tubes 1 set forward i think.
5. custom console with toe relief
6. Slightly crowned deck (I like the look similar to the Chitums)
7. 2 sealed hatches
8. If I can… send Powerhead off to hydrotec for some work

over arching goals are to keep boat light and simple.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Console, electrical, steering all out. Next up fuel and thinking of a way to remove cap. I think this may have had some sort of rebuild in the past as the deck is foam not wood. Still crushed in places tho.

·
Premium Member
3,610 Posts
Sweet! Makes me all giddy inside to see some grind dust flying again!😉😎🤙🏻🇺🇸

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sweet! Makes me all giddy inside to see some grind dust flying again!😉😎🤙🏻🇺🇸
What's the likelyhood of this skiff being a foam core skiff if the transom, the deck and the bulk heads have all been foam!? I think there was a chance there was an option back in the 80s that someone could build a no-rot hull.

This may not be as extensive as I first thought! The transom had at least 1/4" thick of solid glass before the foam core! BEEFY

·
Premium Member
3,610 Posts
What's the likelyhood of this skiff being a foam core skiff if the transom, the deck and the bulk heads have all been foam!? I think there was a chance there was an option back in the 80s that someone could build a no-rot hull.

This may not be as extensive as I first thought! The transom had at least 1/4" thick of solid glass before the foam core! BEEFY
Text me some pics!

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Love your rear-facing rod holders and crowned deck goals. Are you planning to keep it and have two different skiffs for different conditions?
100% The SS can be sand bar and ocean side boat. The devil ray will be skinny water fishing!

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
You'd better get a move on. You had a large head start ;)💁‍♂️

I know right. My eyes are bigger than my stomach. I've just always loved the lines of the Dolphins.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I know right. My eyes are bigger than my stomach. I've just always loved the lines of the Dolphins.
I love the bow flare. Reminds me of some of those big sport fishers! I need to get the tank and motor removed next. That should happen this weekend. I'm sure the wife want to go fish tho, finally got the devilray running again.

·
Premium Member
3,610 Posts
Let me know if you need any of that core brother.

Reactions: flyclimber

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Little update. I haven’t removed cap as I think it would be nice to know what I’m actually working with. Seems to be foam thru and thru. I bought a 7” grinder to be more efficient and hopefully not make too much waviness on the hull/deck, it was throwing off so much dust. I modified a concrete shroud vacuum attachment to almost solve that issue. And the motor is now on casters!
I think the tank looks pretty good and I love the shape! It does have 2-3 small little areas that will need addressing.
more updates will be thrown on @dolphinss16_restore Instagram!
t

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here’s your long weekend update:
Good amount of gel coat has come off and it’s clearing up the areas of concern. The four corners around the cockpit. Also the floor looks to have been cut open already so I think it’s a reasonable assumption that the stringers have seen some work already?
The wife even wanted to help (she is very excited about this one because it has a steering wheel, so this may be “her” boat)
We’re probably going to build a new console to house all electronics and house battery. I’ll upload some of those once the deign is firmed up
Electrical wiring Engineering Gas Machine Wire
Furniture Table Automotive design Shelf Wood
Tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Wheel Tree

1 - 20 of 152 Posts