Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Searching Google for companies to do work on boats with limited reviews and pictures doesn't make me comfortable taking my boat to. So, it would be nice to have a thread on list of recommended companies to try out.

I would start out with a recommendation but I don't have one.

G

·
Boatbrains on here I believe does good work. Glasser boatworks. Skiff shop I thinks it’s called in Edgewater FL
Thank you, BB is done for a while. Just trying to complete my obligations for now. More to come on that later. Hells Bay boatworks, skiff shop, Young boats, and some others. I probably missed a few so ya’ll fill in the blanks please.

·
Brandon, FL
10,949 Posts
Thank you, BB is done for a while. Just trying to complete my obligations for now. More to come on that later. Hells Bay boatworks, skiff shop, Young boats, and some others. I probably missed a few so ya’ll fill in the blanks please.
Isn't there that guy in Jax who does good work? The one who has built several CF's? Just forget his name right now.

·
Banned
276 Posts
Searching Google for companies to do work on boats with limited reviews and pictures doesn't make me comfortable taking my boat to. So, it would be nice to have a thread on list of recommended companies to try out.

I would start out with a recommendation but I don't have one.

Location? Also, what exactly do you want completed?

·
Banned
276 Posts
My advice is to NOT rely on photos. Often, I see boats that look brilliant in photos only to be let down when I see the finished quality in person. I specifically limit the photos I put out for this reason--too many say they have seen the same quality, when it's really not even close. Come and look and then comment. There are also a lot of guys that can do phenomenal paint work, but don't do so well on the structural glass preparations. There are also a lot of guys that do great work on the glass, but the finish work is so-so. There are also a lot of guys that do shit rigging at the end of the project. The boat looks great, but nothing works.

I have also seen good and bad advice on this site. There are companies that get flamed without all of the facts being accurately provided or work performed being misrepresented by the complaining party. I've also seen people make recommendations of guys that simply do not have the skill set to pull off stunning work--these guys aren't experienced enough or qualified to be making certain repairs.

Call shops and speak to the owners and guys actually doing the work. If they make you comfortable, ask to see a boat when they are in the middle of a project or nearing completion. With that, you can get a sense of before and after and what a project actually entails. I do restorations and repair work out of my shop in Holly Hill (near Daytona Beach), but only schedule by appointment only (after vetting) or through referral.

Above all, understand what you are agreeing to in terms of price, delivery timelines, finished quality. Price can be driven by a number of factors and timelines may change as a result of alterations and requests made by the customer. Get a work contract where notations can be made of dates, deposits, changes, etc. It saves the company and it saves you.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Ok, thanks
I cannot remember the guys name Fort Myers Marine refers you to but that guy stays backed up all the time. He is an older fellow that basically does the work in his barn in the backyard. He does good work though. He fixed where they cut to remove a gas tank in a guides boat we were on and it was flawless.

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
that's what you need another boat
That's what I'm saying and a few more fishing poles. Only difference between us is I use mine all the time because I chose to live by the saltwater sounds to me like your a little jealous go catch some bass in your daughter's pond and leave the saltwater to the big boys.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts