Reputable Outboard Service Center in Orlando? What is this LU leak?

Discussion in 'Outboard Maintenance' started by kooker, Mar 9, 2015.

1. kooker

kooker I Love microskiff.com!

Just picked up a Mid 90's 40hp Tohatsu 2-stroke. Engine is super clean but I noticed a small leak (Black, somewhat sticky) on the water pickup in the lower unit. From what I've read, It could be a lube leak or old Gas/Oil. Checked the lower unit lube and it's black and shows no signs of creamy consistency or water. Due to the fact that it's an older engine I'm thinking the smartest route would be to get the LU pressure tested because there might be bad seals.

Anyone know of a good place to go that won't try to rip you off and does good work?

2. Travisloyd07

Travisloyd07 I Love microskiff.com!

I had a Tohatsu and Talon marine in Oviedo was great. He still works on my boats. 407 542 7600

3. kooker

Nice, that's right down the street from me. Thanks man I'll give them a call

4. HaMm3r

HaMm3r Well-Known Member

For your own peace of mind, get it tested. If you don't it'll nag at you. However, what it probably is is just residual 2-stroke oil from the exhaust. I've seen that same kind of seepage from the water pickups on other motors.

5. topnative2

topnative2 Well-Known Member

The lube is old.Replace it and run it and then ck it for milky color--if it does go milky it is the seals---save the money

6. devrep

devrep Well-Known Member

I just spoke to Allen at Talon Marine and they don't do Tohatsu's any more.

7. kooker

Its a mid 90's 2 stroke model. Does it make that much of a difference if its a Tohatsu, Mercury, Yamaha, ect?