Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I've got a 1999 Maverick Mirage that needs to be re-powered. Been running a 1999 Yamaha 90 2 stroke. Trying to decide between the heavier F90 or the lighter F70. With the 90 2 stroke, the boat had great hole shot and would run 40 to 41 with a light load. Don't want to lose too much off that with a new motor. I'm afraid the f90 will be too heavy and afraid the f70 will feel sluggish. Any of you guys have experience with this?

·
I Love Skinny Water
5,674 Posts
I'd like to see that boat mine is a splashed Master Angler from "97
I'd put a Zuke 4 stroke on it

·
I Love microskiff.com!
223 Posts
Most if not all 90 four strokes are the same weight as the 115 so if you're going that route and the boat is rated for a 115 it makes sense to do it. My newer merc 115 is 347 pounds and my newer merc 60 was 241 I think.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
I'm on my third E-Tec 90 - and I'd recommend it to anyone... At only 320lbs you'll be hard pressed to find a stronger, quicker accelerating 90.... Of course I may be a bit prejudiced since I've never had anything other than Johnson or Evinrude on any of the rigs I've put together (since 1974...). I'm on my third one, and it's got a bit over 2000 hours on it in commercial service - still firing with just a touch of the key day after day (my previous one was over 2700 when we pulled it off the transom - still ticking along).

If you ever watch the show Flat's Class on tv - you'll see that C.A. has been running them for a while as well...

Yes, I'm lucky enough to be on BRP's guide program - but don't get any freebies, and stand in line for my maintenance like every one else...

B

·
0 Posts
Rebuild the Yamaha 90 and keep going!
This is the rt I’d take if the rest of it is in good physical/cosmetic condition. Easy task just go with a good machine shop to square everything back up and use factory parts “it’s nit a hot rod” and you’ll save some coin and get another lifetime out of it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts