Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2015 East Cape Fury 2020 etec 60
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
More. That's all I want. Just a little bit more.

...Currently have a 2020 etec 60 on my 2015 East Cape Fury. Love the boat and have not had one single issue at all with the motor. Approx 100 hours on the etec.
Boat runs 33 with me and full gear, slightly trimmed, tabs up.
Buuuttttt...I have a couple buddies that are big boys. AND we're going to be getting into a few tournaments.
When they're onboard, it's a bog down, weight distribution dance to get the bow down in a timely manner.
I've loved the setup since the day I water tested it in the keys.
However, I'm thinking about swapping the power up to the etec 90.
I've never burned more than 1/4-3/8 of a tank in a single day, so I'm not too worried about fuel economy, I just want that extra hole shot AND top end.
Worth it?
P.s. Not sure which ss prop is on there now, and I know nothing about props, except that it seems they either get you more holeshot OR more top end speed, not both...
Thanks in advance my dudes.

J

·
Registered
795 Posts
“we're going to be getting into a few tournaments.” - fish a few first and see if you are going to continue to fish them. Boats don’t win tournaments.

“When they're onboard, it's a bog down, weight distribution dance to get the bow down in a timely manner.“
Do you have trim tabs? May want to look at those to eliminate this.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
“we're going to be getting into a few tournaments.” - fish a few first and see if you are going to continue to fish them. Boats don’t win tournaments.

“When they're onboard, it's a bog down, weight distribution dance to get the bow down in a timely manner.“
Do you have trim tabs? May want to look at those to eliminate this.
True, true on the tournaments. Not going to fish them for a living, but would like to cover a little more ground little quicker somedays.
I do have lenco tabs that work great, and I believe I'm using them correctly on the get up and go, the 60 just seems to fall a smidge short of that power sweet spot that I've felt on a couple other skiffs.
I know some guys love the 60 though.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
95 Posts
I have the same boat with a suzuki 90 and a foreman prop, based on recommendations of those that have much more seat time in a skiff than me. I'm seeing 39-41, full tank, trolling motor, batteries, etc...etc, with two guys...and I am 6'3" and not a thin man. Hole shot should be better, but I'm adding a cav plate and tweaking the prop a bit to assist shortly.

I think the 90 is perfect for what you are trying to do, but I would not get an e-tec unless the deal was really great, as Evinrude has stopped producing outboards. The zuke 90 is a great motor.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Sounds like the 90 will suit your needs, but that power comes with additional weight. What I see for the e-tecs is the extra 30 horses will hit you with 70-80 extra pounds.

I think there was a member here - @Stevie - selling his Yamaha 90hp 2-stroke with a Hydro Tec phase kit. That's a 260lb motor with 100hp. :cool: Sounds like a win-win to me, but maybe it's already sold.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like the 90 will suit your needs, but that power comes with additional weight. What I see for the e-tecs is the extra 30 horses will hit you with 70 extra pounds.

I think there was a member here - @Stevie - selling his Yamaha 90hp 2-stroke with a Hydro Tec phase kit. That's a 260lb motor with 100hp. :cool: Sounds like a win-win to me, but maybe it's already sold.
Thanks for the heads up! ...just messaged him.
I agree about the weight issue, that 90 etec is a heavy girl.

·
The redfish whisperer!
510 Posts
I have a etec 90 on my fury. The 90 etec is currently the lightest 90 being sold on the market at 320 lbs. That's 80 lbs over the 60 etec at 240 lbs. I had a 60 and switched for the same reasons. It's worth it in my personal opinion. The 90 has incredible holeshot. You'll gain top end as well. It still sips fuel and I upgraded to lithium batteries at the same time roughly so only actually saw a net gain of probably 35 lbs. I gained maybe half an inch of draft. This is where the sponsons really help on the fury. A trade well worth it IMHO.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a etec 90 on my fury. The 90 etec is currently the lightest 90 being sold on the market at 320 lbs. That's 80 lbs over the 60 etec at 240 lbs. I had a 60 and switched for the same reasons. It's worth it in my personal opinion. The 90 has incredible holeshot. You'll gain top end as well. It still sips fuel and I upgraded to lithium batteries at the same time roughly so only actually saw a net gain of probably 35 lbs. I gained maybe half an inch of draft. This is where the sponsons really help on the fury. A trade well worth it IMHO. View attachment 155891
You are the man I was looking for! Thank you for chiming in buddy! Much appreciated. I went lithium on the tm battery. Still have a Barracuda house/crank.
What kind of numbers are you seeing with the 90? Also, any idea what that prop is you are running?
Awesome fury btw....I need to get some of those angled rod holders on my poling platform.
Thank you!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Perhaps tweaking prop for holeshot. I also see you don’t run a jack plate. Raising the motor can also help with speed.
Absolutely agree...I have no experience with one, but, if I do the swap, that seems to be the move.
I'll have to put on the swing tongue kit first, as right now I have only inches to spare in the garage.
Atlas and Bob's seem to be most popular. Any recommendations?
Thanks!

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Bobs. Most will agree. Negative transom wedges can also help greatly with getting bow down. There are three things, prop, jack plate and wedges that make many changes to the boat than just being 90hp.

you might be able to move boat up on trailer or chop tongue a few inches possible.

·
The redfish whisperer!
510 Posts
You are the man I was looking for! Thank you for chiming in buddy! Much appreciated. I went lithium on the tm battery. Still have a Barracuda house/crank.
What kind of numbers are you seeing with the 90? Also, any idea what that prop is you are running?
Awesome fury btw....I need to get some of those angled rod holders on my poling platform.
Thank you!
Hey man that's a beautiful fury btw I love the color, I remember seeing that boat for sale. I see 39 mph solo with a full tank of fuel and all my gear. Fully loaded down with 2-3 people it's around 36mph and still plenty of holeshot. The prop is a 19p viper and definitely still not the right prop. I have been working a ton lately and still haven't had the chance to really dial the prop in. I also have since added a shaw wing cavitation plate. I love it. It allows me to run even shallower at slow speeds and negated the need to hardly ever mess with the trim tabs. I am going to be ordering a jack foreman prop likely here in the next week or so.

Also keep in mind my boat is very heavily loaded. I have a 24v ulterra troller, 3ft casting platform on the front with lean bar, HDS 12 Lowrance, 2 8ft power pole blades, bobs jack plate etc. A lighter boat I would expect to be a tad bit faster. The holeshot even with this 19p viper prop will almost throw you out the back of the boat. It has no problem jumping up even with 3 anglers. Best of all I can still pole the boat all day when needed.
I fish tournaments as well so the 90 just made more sense.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts