Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey just wanted to get some opinions on my situation. I have a 2002 dolphin renegade that has a 03 4 stroke mercury 60 horse on it. I've always had two strokes in the past and don't like the way the 4 stroke performs. I have a 02 50 HP Yamaha 2 stroke in good shape with low hours I was thinking about putting on it. I am also considering going with the tohatsu 50 tldi. What do y'all think wound be the better route.

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
I have the 50TLDI on my skiff and absolutely love it. I had an 03 Yamaha 50TLR on a previous skiff and loved that. If I already had a good reliable Yamaha 50TLR I wouldn't think twice about using it. now what I don't know is how your skiff will perform with a 50 vs the 60 you had but 2 strokes usually outperform 4 strokes by torque and weight so you might be ok.

·
Panhandler
2,727 Posts
I really like the performance of my Merc 60 4S. But if you're set on switching and you already own the Yammie, I'd go that route. Run it until it dies and then re-power.

You'll lose a little horsepower with the Yamaha but gain on hole shot and weight savings, so that's a good trade-off. You can also sell the Mercury and put the money towards other upgrades/service, etc.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I just mounted a Yamaha 50tlr on my 2001 kevlar Renegade. I think it fits it nicely. Im just getting it going and with not much time on it but I'm pushing it 34-35 with good holeshot. I had an Evinrude 50 on it before. Let me know if you have any other questions or find the perfect prop for it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts