Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Fulton F2 Swing-Up, Wide-Track Trailer Jack with an 8" single wheel. I have trouble moving the trailer on certain surfaces, including my brick paver driveway. So I want to replace the wheel with something that will make it easier to maneuver. A friend used the wheel in the photo for his replacement and is very pleased. It looks like I will have to find some way to secure the new wheel to the jack. He used a rectangle shaped steel piece that he had on hand--I will either need to find something that will work or have something fabricated. Any ideas?

hjrLaH3ySzerS9yvAPCsDg.jpg
QD4gKPxWSweV8fvWqT891g.jpg
VbN3FTX+TiW+fkv1hAtbaw.jpg
IMG_3132.PNG

·
BBA Counselor
6,904 Posts
Why not just duplicate what already worked? Any steel shop should be able to cut that for a few bucks.

That being said, unless you only fish freshwater, that wheel will rust away quickly.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Lower your jack stand when pushing the boat around. Seriously, try it. No more kicking the wheel around. All the deflection from the tongue jack makes the edges of those plastic wheels bind up on small rocks or cracks and it can't straighten itself out when the trailer off center of the wheel. The lower the tongue the less the wheels pivots and the trailer stays over the top of the wheel. Rounding off the edges of the plastic wheels works well and so does switching to a poly wheel.

·
Registered
324 Posts
^^^Tried this but the cheap setup was junk. Put one of those Fulton double wheeled jobs on and tried lowering the jack, helped greatly. But on a slight incline it was still difficult to maneuver.
I think it's a matter of the jack posts not having a decent bearing that handles torque, side and vertical loads well.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I long ago ditched the tongue jack that came with my trailer... Instead I picked up a Fulton Magnum trailer jack (much heavier duty single wheel jackstand meant for a 3500lb trailer..... Because it's just heavier built it rolls and maneuvers better than the nice new cheapie that came with my (then) new trailer... That tip about lowering your bow down with the tongue jack before trying to roll it around is right on the money... The extra flex that a tongue jack has with a lightweight tongue jack is very much reduced when you simply lower it.... That "flex" is one of the reasons your current tongue jack is fighting you all the time when you try to push your trailer into position..

Disclaimer - I'm lucky enough to be able to keep my skiff in my garage (it was bought specifically to fit in my garage all those years ago...), so I'm only wheeling mine around on smooth, level, polished concrete surface.... that's much easier to deal with than any other surface would be...

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
Looks like your friend used a piece of rectangular steel.
(sometimes called tube or box)

www.metalsdepot.com/steel-products/steel-rectangle-tube

You may have a local steel supply house
I've no clue what they charge in your neck of the woods
few bucks for the steel plus they will charge you a cut fee which might be double what the small piece of steel costs.

PS
if you DIY ......... epoxy primer and 2 part coating holds up ok
or have it powder coated
You could get lucky with one or both as they might just give it to you since it's so small but that was for me who spent a lot at the steel shop and a powder coater was one of my customers :) a little cash sometimes makes things like this cheaper.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts