Replacing Trailer Hubs

Discussion in 'Boat Yard Basics' started by ugaflats, Nov 25, 2013.

1. ugaflats

ugaflats Well-Known Member

Going to replace the hubs and bearings on my 3 year old float on trailer soon. Was considering oil bath hubs or another hub I found, the vortex. Which is seems great in theory where it pushes the old grease out when you add new grease. Does anyone have any opinions on either of these versus the traditional grease hub with a buddy bearing.

http://www.tiedown.com/avortex.html

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/product.do?part=40061&engine=adwords!6456&keyword=product_ad&type=pla

2. Flycast

Flycast I Love microskiff.com!

Are you dunking or dry launching?

3. ugaflats

ugaflats Well-Known Member

4. Flycast

Flycast I Love microskiff.com!

I am not familiar with the Vortex model but my theory on hub maintenance is that the seals are probably the most important part and especially so when you're dunking the rig. Dunking something repeatedly in saltwater and touting no maintenance as they do on their site might scare me a little. To my way of thinking, saltwater and "no maintenance" do not go together. I think there is some value and peace of mind opening up your hubs annually and inspecting things to make sure they are in good working order, seals and grease are cheap.

Before you go buy a bunch of parts though, I'd open up what you've got and take a look, unless your hubs are in just terrible condition for some reason they shouldnt' need to be replaced. You could always do bearings and seals though, I'd also buy a few extras and carry them in your truck, along with a spare hub and grease.

Not much help I know.

5. flyfshrmn82

flyfshrmn82 Well-Known Member

My experience is that if you didn't start with oil from the get go, then don't do it at all.  Once your spindles start to wear using grease-type system, the oil-type seals don't do a proficient job of sealing water out. 

I use something like the vortex system.  Contential trailers have a grease fitting into a hole down the middle of the spindle that leads to perpendicular holes at the inner bearing.  It fills from the inside bearing out. 

6. topnative2

topnative2 Well-Known Member

IMHO stay away from the oil hubs---if it leaks u have nothing left---u will always have grease.

If u keep ur buddy bearings fulll they will last "forever"

So where does the old grease go---or is it a maintenance thing???

KISS method for me