Replacing prop shaft, looking for insight

Discussion in 'Outboard Maintenance' started by NoeSmyrnaBch, Jun 2, 2014.

1. NoeSmyrnaBch

NoeSmyrnaBch Well-Known Member

I need to replace my bent prop shaft, or at least remove and have it straightened, but for the price I think I will just go new. I've worked on top ends, but never done anything outside of a water pump or gear oil change on a L/U.

What am I in for? What seals or parts do I need to replace while I'm in there? I have the service manual but I dont know what should be done as precautionary, "while-you're-in-there", type of stuff. Motor is a '92 Mariner 9.9 2 stroke.

Thanks

2. topnative2

topnative2 Well-Known Member

Take it in....... there are special tools needed to replace it not a do it yourself deal

3. NoeSmyrnaBch

NoeSmyrnaBch Well-Known Member

Yeah looking that way... not what I was hoping for

4. topnative2

topnative2 Well-Known Member

I like aluminum props just for that reason----u really have to hit rt. to bend the shaft on an alum.

5. MariettaMike

MariettaMike Wish'n I was Fish'n!

try bending it back straight with a pipe over the propeller shaft. May be a bad idea, but theoretically it should work. Worst thing that could happen is you have to get a new propellor shaft, and since its a 20+ year old motor changing the bearings and seals will probably be recommended.

6. TwoKids

TwoKids Well-Known Member

If you haven't already, search through youtube for some vids. I recently replaced lower unit seals on a couple big motors and it wasn't so bad after watching a couple of those videos. I've never done it but from what I've read, pulling the prop shaft seals and prop shaft are a higher level of difficulty for sure, with the motor being 20 years old. If you don't have the special tools ingenuity will be required.