Replacing Impeller on an '07 Mercury 25 EFI

Discussion in 'Outboard Maintenance' started by rkmurphy, Nov 2, 2009.

1. rkmurphy

rkmurphy Well-Known Member

Has anyone done this to theirs according to the shop manual? I can't afford one at the moment and need to get the impeller replaced by this Friday. I have the parts...just need the procedure. Never worked on me a 4 stroke before!

Or...if anyone has the Mercury manual and could take high quality pics of the pages and send them to me, I would GREEEATLY appreciate it!!

2. HighSide25

HighSide25 Well-Known Member

if the merc was strapped to a gheenoe you would get pics, and maybe even a loyalist to change it for you! ;D ;D ;D [smiley=1-whoops1.gif]

3. out-cast

out-cast Well-Known Member

That's good comedy. :p

4. iMacattack

iMacattack busy, too busy

Go to your local library and check out a manual. My local library has one.

Good Luck!

Cheers
    The Capt.

5. rkmurphy

Okay library didn't have it...

Any idea on how to disconnect the shift linkage on this beast? I can see where to do it...just not how.

Also, a dealership said that on a lot of the bigger 4 strokes (smallest he talked about was a 90hp), you have to drain the engine oil before pulling the LU. Does anyone think that is the case for this one?

6. out-cast

out-cast Well-Known Member

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=267085
    http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=318603
    I'll keep looking for ya Ryan.

7. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Since google books eliminated most of the previews I can't assist on this one RK.
    You've already been through this on the last engine.
    You need that manual or page copies to do it right.
    Take a camera to the library, see if they have a manual as Jan suggested.
    Sorry I can't do more. :(

8. rkmurphy

Thanks out-cast and Brett.  I had such high hopes for getting this job done sans manual.  I guess I'm going to have to break and buy one :(

Keep the help coming!! If I can go about doing this without spending any more money, that would be great.

9. iMacattack

iMacattack busy, too busy

Go to the library... it's FREE!

10. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

Check your PM.

The shift linkage coupler is a clip. Use a flashlight and you will see a pin. Push the pin to the other side and then the top portion will simply flip up. To install, reverse the above.

It is not necessary to drain the LU...just don't tip it upside down. As I said in my PM's I scanned the instructions from the manual for you but you have not given me an email address so I can send it to you.

11. rkmurphy

The libraries in the area don't have a manual for my year range. I'm guessing they don't carry them that new. :(

Ducknut...we may not have the same type of linkage. Here's some pics of what I suspect I disconnect...just not sure how....:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

WOW, that is different. From the pictures, it appears that there might be a set screw. Maybe a pin. My guess is a screw. Either way that is what needs to come out. If it is a pin I imagine Merc has a "special" tool for that. Call Dwight at Alafia Marina and ask him...he'll help you out.

13. kbuch312

kbuch312 Well-Known Member

Take a look at the other side of the engine. If it looks the same, it is likely a roll pin. The way to tell, is if it is hexagonal in shape. Not a roll pin, but a set screw. If the hole is round and you see a small split line in one spot. Roll pin.
    Just push it through with a smaller diameter tool.
    It will likely take a slight amount of pressure, as it is spring loaded due to the split.
    Go easy!!

14. rkmurphy

It isn't coming out easy. I have to punch it out with a mini screwdriver and a hammer. I put some PB blaster on it with my finger and have been supporting the shift rod so it doesn't bend or anything. I called Piper's Marine and they were very helpful. They pulled their own manual from the shelf and, sure enough, it said to "punch it out".

I'll replace the pin with a stainless cotter pin to avoid future frustration...

15. noeettica

noeettica Well-Known Member

You can't Beat a Proper Pin punch ...

Truust me ...

16. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Be careful there RK, the shaft that you're trying to remove the pin from
    goes through a seal into the gearbox. Banging on the shaft can damage the seal.
    Somewhere in my tool collection was a homemade gizmo for pressing pins out with any banging.
    It was composed of 2 pieces of steel, 2 nuts and bolts and a center punch set.
    Each plate had 3 holes in it, the outside holes for the nuts and bolts,
    the center holes for the pin to slide through and to hold the end of the correct diameter punch.
    Tightening the bolts pressed the punch into the roll pin and out through the other side.

17. rkmurphy

Okay I tried a lot of different strategies but, this was the only one that worked and seemed pretty safe.  I took some needle nose pliers and held them behind the shaft.  With the same hand, I held the mini screwdriver and hammered away.  I hammered with "low to medium" intensity until it was out enough to grab securely with the needle nose pliers.  Then, I twisted and turned it until it came out.  Yay!  :)

I then pulled the LU and pulled the water pump assembly.  The impeller is actually in good condition except a couple the "fins" or whatever you want to call them were facing the wrong direction.  Weird...

Anyhow...I wiped the driveshaft down with some PB Blaster and a paper towel and now I have to clean up the gasket surfaces.  Then I'm going to clean things up, put the new gaskets on, grease the bolts, and reassemble.  Hopefully, if all goes well, I'll be back on the water by Friday morning!

Thanks for the help all!

Edit:

This explains the need for a shop manual...

I was trying to pull off what I thought was the base plate of the water pump. I thought it was being stubborn so I slowly turned it until it came up.

Much to my surprise, this "base plate" had attached to it the oil seal for the drift shaft/LU bearing. Smooth move, Ryan...

So...I positioned it perfectly and pressed it back in all the way...gonna leave that one there next time :-[

18. rkmurphy

Well please still read my above post but, I got everything back together and it works great! Going to test 'er out tomorrow and hopefully get some fish blood on 'er!