Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have a 22 year old Action Craft with a deck that has gelcoat worn down to the fiberglass in some areas. The gelcoat at this stage in it's life picks up stains like crazy as well. I would like to repaint the deck with a 2 part paint but am wondering how best to make the deck non-skid again.

I gather after I prime and paint it, the molded non-skid will be fairly worthless for slip prevention. Seems like some people say you can just add polymeric non skid additive on top of the pre-existing molded non-skid. Some say you really need to just grind down and fair the pattern non-skid (a ton of work). Does anyone have any experience with something like this?

Thanks for any help!
Brendan

·
Registered
164 Posts
Brendan, You're going to have your work cut out for you either way you go. All of my experience is with fiberglass gel-coat, but I think a quality paint might be the way to go here. I believe you might get away with painting the nonskid without filling the valleys so full that you loose your grip. As for the under-foot durability of Awlgrip or other quality paints, you'll have to ask someone else. Grinding away that type of nonskid would be a major undertaking and trying to replace that existing nonskid pattern will be damn near impossible without paying a professional to do the work.

·
Brandon, FL
10,393 Posts
Paint is mils thick and will not fill the tread pattern.

Unless you know what you are doing this is a tough project. Might be best to hire a pro.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Encouraging to hear that the existing non skid might be good enough. I would prefer to keep it if I can. I've done a lot of other work on the boat myself but I might hire the painting job itself out to a pro. I do think it's going to be quite a bit of work with a chance of it not turning out good if I tackle Awl Grip painting myself. Frank and DuckNut appreciate your alls input.

·
BBA Counselor
7,009 Posts
I'll be the dissenting opinion here. I think it would be fairly straightforward to grind down the nonskid you have and replace it with the salt shaker method.
I agree paint is the way to go, but once you spray primer then paint i think your current nonskid will be lackluster.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
One other option that most don't consider.. and that is to find a quality glass shop and actually strip that cap all the way down and do a complete gelcoat replacement.. I know one or two that were very happy with the results (and for a 19' skiff it was about $2000.... and that's a life of the boat repair....).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Firecat, yeah I like the idea of grinding it off minus the work involved. I think with the right grinder it might not be too bad though.

Capt Bob, very interesting. Do you know where that was done? I kind of had been leaning towards paint as the current gelcoat picks up stains like crazy and imagined awlgrip would not. 2000 is really not bad for all that work though.

·
BBA Counselor
7,009 Posts
Firecat, yeah I like the idea of grinding it off minus the work involved. I think with the right grinder it might not be too bad though.
I don't mean to literally grind it off. A random orbit sander and some 60 grit should be able to do it with just a few hours work.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Firecat yeah I meant the same haha. Just need a big enough sanding face so as to make it even.

·
BBA Counselor
7,009 Posts
Typical 5" will do it just fine, just keep it moving. They are all horizontal surfaces making it really easy.

·
Premium Member
2,426 Posts
Or... you can make a square pad sander and use 9x11 like used when fairing. Would keep it flat and knock it off in a hurry with some 50-60 grit!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts