Rental vehicle for towing skiff?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by CedarCreek, Jun 17, 2014.

1. CedarCreek

CedarCreek I Love microskiff.com!

Anyone know of any rental car companies that allow towing? I have an Odyssey van with no hitch and a Pathfinder with a hitch that cant carry the whole gang of 5 so I am looking for an alternative to driving 2 cars on vacation. No luck so far. I'll keep calling and surfing in the meantime. Thanks!

2. CedarCreek

I'm probably going to just get a hitch for the van along with an upgraded transmission oil cooler and be done with it but I''ll see if anyone chimes in about rentals too.

3. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

I rent cars all the time and any of the big SUV's (Tahoe, Subreban, Expedition, etc...) all have the hitch receiver. But I do not think they will give you the hitch itself.

4. CedarCreek

Yeah, my brother does it all the time too. He told me to rent what I want but don't tell them how you are going to use it. Thanks.

5. Jal78

Jal78 I Love microskiff.com!

Be careful going the rental car route, I travel all the time for work and last time I was at National Car rental (last week) i checked everything on the lot. The only trucks with the receiver were the dodges. None of the chevys had the hitch which surprised me. I even checked the tahoe and explorer. I also have the Odyssey van, which tow package are you going get, honda or aftermarket? If aftermarket, what brand? A lot of folks say the aftermarket stuff is cheaper and better, but I don't know enough about it to make an informed decision.

6. CedarCreek

906, I have been changing my mind daily. Today, a friend offered his Tahoe to us for the week so I may go that route. But I did look into aftermarket hitches and UHaul can do the electrical and hitch for under $300. I don't remember the brand but it is on their website. The problem with adding a tow package to an Odyssey is that Honda recommends a transmission oil cooler upgrade, a power steering cooler upgrade, and some kind of pipe to exhaust the heat. Seems a bit overkill to me for a lightweight skiff. If you do it by Honda specs the cost is around $1,800.

7. Jal78

Jal78 I Love microskiff.com!

Wow, $1,800 is more than I was quoted. The best I found was $1,300 but most were around $1,400 - $1,500. I'm with you, seems a bit extreme to haul a 1000 pounds. I have read people saying that Honda can void the warranty if you use aftermarket stuff, but don't know if that is legit or internet talk. Keep me posted which way you decide to go with the tow package on the van and I will do the same. I need to make my mind up in the near future. I hate to pay double, but I am leaning toward the Honda route simply because the van is new and my lack of knowledge in the aftermarket brands/installation.

8. CedarCreek

Well, I live in the DC area. Everything costs more up here. I think if I do add the tow package it will be through Honda but i am trying to convince my wife to just trade in the van. Ours is a 2007. Neither of us really like driving it but its hard to beat for a people transport!