removing tilt and trim from a merc 50?

Discussion in 'Outboard Maintenance' started by nickd89, Sep 10, 2013.

1. nickd89

nickd89 I Love microskiff.com!

Hey guys im trying to remove and replace a tilt and trim unit thats busted from a 2001 mercury 50 hp 2 stroke.

so far i removed the little nail pin on the port side where the t&t piston attaches to the engine. so my question is this the only pin, do I now just knock the rod out through the hole?

2. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

I think you have to split the brackets to get the pin out. Others that I have worked on were that way.

Not an expert nor certain about your motor, but experience tells me to split it.

Look up your motor on Crowleymarine.com and look at the schematics.

3. Creek Runner

Creek Runner Well-Known Member

Top and bottom pins, you don't have to split the brackets but makes life easier for the novice who doesn't do them regularly

Creek

4. nickd89

i think ive pulled the top pin, where is the bottom one?

5. nickd89

this is the pin I pulled. so now do I simply knock out that rod? I would assume from the inside out, right?

where would the bottom pin be now?

[​IMG]

6. nickd89

anyone have any experience with this?

7. Creek Runner

Creek Runner Well-Known Member

Go to www.boats.net and pull up a part diagram of your engine it will give you a break down of the midsection and you can see the top and bottom pin.

When you pulled the top pin lock which is what your screw driver is kind of pointed at, you will then knock out that big pin which run through the tilt arm and midsection.

Same on the bottom.