Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever do this? Is it a PITA? Does it leave a permanent mess or no sign it was ever there?

·
Registered
114 Posts
It’s a PITA. I pulled 2-8”X 11” squares I installed 4 years ago and it was not easy. What it did leave was the yellow adhesive and some scabs of the SeaDek. I then scrubbed it with a green scouring pad with acetone and that did help but still left a little yellow discoloration. I covered everything up with new so no biggie to me. I just needed a clean surface so maybe with a little more elbow grease it’ll all come off. What are your plans? Get rid of it or replace? If you do remove it, start at a corner and use a flat razor and work it off slowly by pulling the corner and using the blade underneath. Try to keep in 1 piece.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
32E2A8B9-45FA-4ACA-A06E-2F25624B1389.png
No experience with it, but this is supposed to be good.

Reactions: mangoman

·
Registered
719 Posts
Get about 10 Plastic scrapers , 2 jugs of acetone. i did my whole interior of my osprey.i wouldnt used the scour pad Cause it might cause gelcoat go bye bye. Also pull slow as hell and get some tight fitting work gloves not plastic. Wear socks after you get it mostly cleaned up

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
my skiff had 4 builder installed reel pads that had gone to goop. will NEVER use seadek or the like. was so hard to get off. I replaced them with pcs of bunk carpet I had hemmed and it still looks good 6 years later.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Get about 10 Plastic scrapers , 2 jugs of acetone. i did my whole interior of my osprey.i wouldnt used the scour pad Cause it might cause gelcoat go bye bye. Also pull slow as hell and get some tight fitting work gloves not plastic. Wear socks after you get it mostly cleaned up
How do we take advise from someone calling themselves rookiemistake? Friend of mine removed it once. Don’t recall the chemical, but he did press black plastic garbage bags into the goop and let it sit. I don’t speak to him anymore, so no going back. I need to do my B2. How long did it take to remove it from the Osprey?

·
I Love microskiff.com!
63 Posts
3M adhesive cleaner and a multi tool with scraper blade. Amazing how easy it worked. My blade had rounded edges so didn’t have to worry about gouging. No need to apply much pressure let the tool do the work.
The first pass will separate the pad from the the adhesive. Then soak the adhesive with the 3M cleaner and run the tool back over it and it will come right up.

·
Registered
930 Posts
3M adhesive cleaner and a multi tool with scraper blade. Amazing how easy it worked. My blade had rounded edges so didn’t have to worry about gouging. No need to apply much pressure let the tool do the work.
The first pass will separate the pad from the the adhesive. Then soak the adhesive with the 3M cleaner and run the tool back over it and it will come right up.
^^^^ This

·
Registered
411 Posts
did you griptex after or more seadek? the multi tool looks promising

·
Registered
616 Posts
I removed and replaced some... not sure what was there it was a black off brand product, it was coming up in spots at the edge and a corner.

1) Peeled slowly and carefully as best I could. If you get to aggressive it rips and makes the job harder so don't get in a hurry with this part.
2) Used Plastic scraper to get up the remaing parts, bits, and pieces off.
3) Soaked a rag in mieral spirits and laid that on the remaining glue patch.
4) After 10 minutes or so the glue is pretty loosened and elbow grease with some rags was able to get most up.
5) Cleaned up the area with acetone and more elbow grease.

Done, the above process I think was from a SeaDeck video, removing and replacing padding on the rear ski platform on a ski boat.

It did not leave a stain but did leave a noticeable area that was not as fade'd as the rest of the exposed gel/paint.

·
Premium Member
1,469 Posts
Lacquer thinner will work too. Doesn’t evaporate as fast as acetone. Use a squeeze bottle to flush joint as it releases,pull slow and steady. Let it work . Adhesive usually stays on product , less clean up , most of the time

1 - 15 of 15 Posts