Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
04 HB Professional
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I have a power pole mounted through the sponson on my 2004 HB professional. I noticed when cleaning after a trip this past weekend that I had some water in my right sponson (which is where the PP is mounted). After spraying with water and seeing that the water is coming in through this mount my next idea is to remove the power pole and place the same bolts with some sealant and just call it a day. This boat was bought recently used and I never liked the idea of power poles mounted through glass like that. I don’t see me needing the power pole that much so that is why I’m deciding to remove it.
I plan on bringing hull to HB to get restored within the next year or so, so I’m looking for a temporary fix until then. Is removing the pole and just putting bolts back and sealing it a reliable option?
Road surface Asphalt Automotive tire Wheel Sky

·
I Love microskiff.com!
532 Posts
Don't forget about the hole for the wires/tubes. If it was me, I would look to reseal the around the mount as well as each bolt and leave it on there.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I have the same issue on my Marquesa (not the leaking) PP mounted on the right sponson. I freaking hate the thing on the side I pole. I bump it all the time with the push pole, especially when a tarpon is near…. sealing it with caulking and bolts should be fine, prob be ok for a longterm solution too, just not the prettiest.

·
Registered
698 Posts
If it was me id remove it clean the area up and put the bolts back in with rubber washers under the steel washers,same with cable hole ! That will hold and look ok till you can get to Hells Bay shop 👍 rubber washers at lowes and most other hardware stores!

And i wouldnt bother to use any caulking! Just more for HB to have to remove and not needed with the rubber washers 👍

And I've used them have several in my aluminum gig boat to fix old holes in stern! Best not to over tighten them just pull them up snug let it go, your only sealing out water!👍😎

·
Registered
23 Posts
Actually have been wondering the same thing and have the same issue on my whipray (minus the leaking). My buddy did his just like you are saying just leaving the bolts in and using some marine sealant. Rubber washers sounds like a pretty good option too per silent drifter. Let me know what you do and I’ll maybe follow suit.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Washers is the way to go IMHO👍 but if for some crazy reason they drilled a 1 inch hole for the cable 🙄 you could use the power pole for a template and cut a piece of 1/2 inch Thick star board to go inplace of the power pole👍 id run a small bead of caulking around that on the underside,if i went that route!

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
13,666 Posts
I’d make an aluminum plate to cover the holes and stick it to the transom with silicone and no bolts. Keep it the same footprint so you aren’t creating more work for the gelcoat guy.

·
Registered
698 Posts
A cheap alternative to star board is cutting boards at walmart 😉 ive used them for battery box tray in my gigger worked great 👍

·
Registered
792 Posts
A cheap alternative to star board is cutting boards at walmart 😉 ive used them for battery box tray in my gigger worked great 👍
I've used cutting board for a number of applications where appropriate and like the stuff but a couple of issues, most of it isn't UV resistant and will deteriorate over time, it's also really hard to get adhesives to stick to cutting board.

·
Registered
2008 Scout 221 Winyah Bay
92 Posts
Power poles have a fairly standard mounting pattern - I might be able to come up with a pattern and have some plates waterjet cut and list them for sale on the site. Shouldn't be too pricey. I have to get some other things cut this week so I can look into it. I will look into a better idea than just rubber washers - I don't necessarily like that idea. Maybe some sealing socket head screws so you have an o-ring against the flat plate.

I just looked and can't find a mounting pattern online - if someone can provide me with hole pattern dimensions and the foot outer dimensions of the Sportsman II I can can design an aluminum plate and get it cut.

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
13,666 Posts
Power poles have a fairly standard mounting pattern - I might be able to come up with a pattern and have some plates waterjet cut and list them for sale on the site. Shouldn't be too pricey. I have to get some other things cut this week so I can look into it. I will look into a better idea than just rubber washers - I don't necessarily like that idea. Maybe some sealing socket head screws so you have an o-ring against the flat plate.

I just looked and can't find a mounting pattern online - if someone can provide me with hole pattern dimensions and the foot outer dimensions of the Sportsman II I can can design an aluminum plate and get it cut.
I have one loose at the shop I can measure and mic holes from. On nights right now but I might be at the shop tomorrow and for sure Wednesday.

·
I Love Skinny Water
6,830 Posts
I hate power poles, leaking is only one of the reasons I hate them

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
I feel you pain. The Whipray I bought had one and I remove it myself, which wasn't hard, but messy. But then to sell it, all parts were under warranty and a bit corroded or cracking, so they sent me a rebuild kit. I won't do that again.

But I did have my glass guy plug the holes and refinish - cannot even tell it was there. I was going to bolt and caulk, but it wasn't too expensive to plug, plus the boat needed to be wet sanded, buffed and then I had ceramic coating applied. Hull came out looking brand new.

Good luck - and I do like the ideas of making a plate. I have a push stake that I had hope could be mounted in the same holes, but I went with an engine mount instead.

·
Registered
04 HB Professional
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Appreciate all of the responses. After further investigation around the mount and hoses I am 100% sure the leak is coming from the inserts that the lines are running through. Even after realizing the the leak is not coming through the mount, I will still remove the power pole. At this point I’m thinking I will try to do a backing plate on the inside and just replace with the bolts from the power pole mount.

·
Registered
92 Posts
So I can do a rectangular plate for those of you without the holes in the transom, or you can get one with a tab above the bracket section to cover up holes as needed.

Sleeve Grey Font Gas Electronic device

I'm not getting any made at the moment, but I can look into getting a few made if there is some interest. They will be anodized as well - can do black or clear.

-Tyler

·
Registered
698 Posts
Your signature sould be enough payment as advertising! They should be free! This is the main thing that aggregates me everyone looking to profit off people ...its just a piece of aluminum why not give back to the people when you have a chance ?
Be grateful your in the position you are👍🙏

·
Registered
92 Posts
Your signature sould be enough payment as advertising! They should be free! This is the main thing that aggregates me everyone looking to profit off people ...its just a piece of aluminum why not give back to the people when you have a chance ?
Be grateful your in the position you are👍🙏
Placing my logo on a piece of metal is good business practice - I'm happy to make one and NOT engrave it for you if you really don't want the logo on there. I understand some folks want a clean look. Others like the brand shown on their equipment. Do you remove the manufacturer logo off the side of your boat after you purchase it?

I started this side business as a way to provide supplemental income for my family while doing what I love. I was furloughed for 1/3 of last year and my wife had to quit her job to take care of our child who was born with a birth defect. The last two years have been very difficult for us, as it has been for many. Not to mention the margins on my products are less than what most companies are charging.

I am trying to give back to the people by producing a higher quality option than what exists from the big box companies out there while listening to what you guys want. Keep in mind, it takes my time and effort to design, source, procure, assemble, ship, etc. If it's so simple to cut the plate then I welcome you to go make your own.

Me putting my logo on stuff makes it easier for me to reduce my margins and give you what you guys want. Plus it helps with maintaining control over my product designs, especially when I post photos to the internet.

You don't want a logo on it? I'll be happy to sell you one without my logo. Just ask.

·
Registered
698 Posts
No i agree with the logo im saying its a cheep item why not jump at the chance to look good give back to what got you to where you are thats all.... i believe in the American way while it exists 🙏 i dont see my neighbors as a profit we try to help each other where im from....

Many are not as blessed as my wife and self and we try to pass that on thats all im implying! And that only!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts