Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 2001 Mako Inshore skiff, and I have been working to fix the electrical and clean the skiff up. Its in decent shape and the motor runs great, it has just been sitting in a barn for a few years. I have pressure washed the hull twice, but there are some brown water stains on the hull and in the livewells. What causes these, and what cleaning products and techniques I can use to try and remove these stains? I want to get the hull as clean as possible before I wax it.

Thanks in advance for the help!

White Window Rectangle Gas Composite material

Plumbing fixture Fluid Wood Automotive exterior Rectangle

Electrical wiring Gas Cable Wire Auto part

Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle

·
Registered
6 Posts
Definitely get some rubber gloves. I used ez on ez off hull cleaner after having to leave my boat in the water for a few months waiting for my lift to get built. The brown stain will come right out after a few treatments and lots of serious scrubbing. If you zoom in on the pic, look on the starboard side to see how it looked before.

Attachments

·
Registered
228 Posts
I've had good luck with Rust-Aid from Home Depot. Use gloves and safety glasses in case you splash it. Use a sponge to wipe it on your hull, give it a couple minutes and go back and hit the spots you missed. After that, rinse the hull thoroughly with water, let it dry and apply a good wax. For stubborn stains in your compartments, let it sit for a while. If it starts to run, soak a paper towel with Rust-Aid and let it sit for a few minutes. These rust spots are STAINS and you can scrub till the cows come home trying to get rid of them. It's much simpler to let the chemical do the work.("Better living through chemistry")

·
Panhandler
3,691 Posts
FSR gel or Fiberglass Stain Remover from West Marine is another good product. Also contains acid. Be sure to rinse the live well thoroughly afterwards, then wash with soap and rinse before adding bait. Congrats on the new ride.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Look for products containing oxalic acid. Barkeepers Friend is a low-cost source. Make a slurry and apply. It has an abrasive material in it so don’t over do the scrubbing.
Like TxSalt said oxalic acid. You can use Behr paint #63 deck cleaner. Can get at any HomeDepot just follow the directions on the back. You can dilute it or use it full strength for tough stains. It will clean them off easily. Hope this helps, Michael

·
I Love microskiff.com!
174 Posts
FSR. Fiberglass Stain Remover. I use it in my livewell and the hull. Works great. It’s a blue gel, and you can dilute it 50% at least. I usually put it on with a 1/2 nap mini-roller. Though rust stains may need another spot treatment. I usually rinse everything, then apply the diluted FSR, then scrub, then rinse well.

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
All that's needed is Sno Bowl (or something similar) very cheap and available at any grocery store... Like the extra cost marine rust or stain removers it's a blue gel, comes in a squeeze bottle and is an acid based cleaner.... Use rubber gloves and apply it with a sponge, roller, or wetted down cloth - allow to sit for 20-30 minutes then rinse off - Easy Peasy.... The real problems with products like this are the side effects... Don't allow any to drip down onto a galvananized trailer - you won't like what happens... I use plastic sheeting (or an old shower curtain to protect my trailer when using this stuff... Afterwards, of course, the area you treated will need to be waxed properly since it also strips off any wax protection. I also use it on the lower unit of my motor (nice white E-Tec that really shows rust stains if you fish the backcountry day after day...) and it cleans those brown stains right off.... Don't want to patiently wait for the chemicals to do the job? just work the area over gently with a cloth or sponge loaded with that toilet bowl cleaner and it will pull off the stains pretty quickly...

Hope this helps, and "Aren't boats fun?"

·
Registered
414 Posts

After trying everything I could find Mary Kate on-off is the best. Wipe it on and the brown stains disappear after a couple of minutes. Its nasty stuff but really works when nothing else will.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts