Removable seat systems

Discussion in 'Boat Yard Basics' started by oysterbreath, May 1, 2012.

1. oysterbreath

oysterbreath Well-Known Member

I'm going to add a seat mount with removable post to my deck for some of the older folk that I plan to take for a ride once my boat is done. These are folk that will expect to be seated while fishing so it has to be done. My question is, which system is the most reliable. I was gonna go with the atwood but it's got too many bad reviews. Plus, it's cast aluminium mount just concerns me. Any better alternatives?

Also, who make a decent trolling motor mount. Something like either the birdsall (but cheaper) or like the one you find on gheenoes with the rectangular tube? More than likely I'll go with an all-in-one watersnake but I'd like to try to mount my existing troller so a decent mount would be nice...

2. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

After all of the sweat you are working up on your beautiful build - you want to mount a pedestal chair!

Put some duct tape on the the legs of a lawn chair.

3. oysterbreath

Hmmmmm, well...I guess you have a good point there. Please forgive my stupidity! That was the extra hotsauce I had on my taco talking...not me! What was I thinking....pedistal....pssst! We don't need no stinking pedistal! lol

4. topnative2

topnative2 Well-Known Member

I went w/ one of those marine grade bean bags--wife loves it

5. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

What was I thinking....pedistal....pssst! We don't need no stinking pedistal!

I dunno oyster, I seem to recall an awesome chunk of craftsmanship here recently...

from FMH's native skiff build...

http://www.microskiff.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1251991852

[​IMG]

6. oysterbreath

I recall that too but that sir...is a bit too extravagant for lil ol me!

7. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

this from a guy building a cold molded wood skiff from scratch... ;D

It's just some nice mahogany and some hinges on a base.
    Nowhere near as time consuming as fairing a hull, eh?

Or did I just hit a sore spot? ;)

8. firecat1981

firecat1981 BBA Counselor

Don't have any advise, but I will say my next boat will have some kind of seats with backs. After 4 or 5 hours of fishing my back is sore from either sitting or standing. My old gheenoe had seats and I could be out for 8 hours and not hurt any.

9. relgin623

relgin623 I Love microskiff.com!

I have a birdsal and like it.they are expensive.as far a s a seat I think the attwood with the base plate is good choice.when not using the seat I put a cork in the hole of the base plate so water does not drain under my front deck.(dry storage)

10. tntwill

tntwill Hooking Lips is my life

This is what I did for a back support.The seat is a igloo cushion. Works great for this old man :)
    [​IMG]