Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just got my first skiff earlier last season and love the ease and versatility since getting rid of my big boat. I am originally a mechanic and have an electrical background so minor repairs and upgrades aren’t out of my wheelhouse. The question I’ve got is does anyone have a creative solution or drop in upgrade for shifting engines like a Yamaha 15hp tiller when using a tiller extension.
I will also accept answers like don’t be lazy and turn around and scoot back to the transom. I just didn’t know if there was anything anyone did when launching or when they got into a pinch and needed to take her out of gear or hit reverse.

Thanks

·
Registered
422 Posts
There have been a couple members on here that have fabricated a remote linkage that allowed them to “reach” the shift lever - kind of like a tiller extension does for the throttle. I have an old Mariner (Mercury) 9.9 that has the twist shift, and it is a great feature. But i’ve had other outboards with the shift lever on the side, and once I got used to it I didn’t mind at all.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Yamaha 20 hp w/ a 30” extension... I launch on a very narrow creek, sub 6’ wide and windy. You will get used to it but I have found it useful to face the motor in tight situations with a lot of current. Hope that helps

G

·
You’ll need a morse dc control and a 3300 series cable at the correct length. You’ll also need engine end cable adaptors and might want the morse dc control bracket.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts