Refurbished 25 Hp merc ?

Discussion in 'Outboard Maintenance' started by noeettica, Nov 28, 2010.

1. noeettica

noeettica Well-Known Member

2 Things

1. I have a rebuildable "core"

2. I have an excellent Merc mechanic

What is the interest in something like this ?

Anyone rather do this as a DIY ?

2. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

DIY

Cost of labor will be more than the value of the motor. Use your friend as a resource.

3. noeettica

Since a "Used" 25 Hp Merc goes for about $1500.00

Would an "Overhauled" powerhead add a significant amount to that Price ?

4. HighSide25

HighSide25 Well-Known Member

you are more than welcome to buy mine for 1500 any day of the week

5. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

I agree with Tail. Just not worth paying someone to the work.

6. firecat1981

firecat1981 BBA Counselor

Not really, maybe a few hundred at best, basically all you are doing is restoring it to running condition. If you are planning on using it for a few years then I'd do it myself and enjoy the learning process.

7. levip

levip I Love microskiff.com!

8. tom_in_orl

tom_in_orl Founder of Microskiff, Member of the Gheenoe Army

More like $1000 to maybe $1200 for one in excellent condition.

9. noeettica

I guess SMOH Means nothing in the marine world ...

in Aviation It's very Important ...

We have Crankshafts that are only good for 300 Hrs ... so an engine with a Fresh overhaul and NEW Crank is worth many times more than a "good" running motor with 275 Hrs ...

Dave

10. cutrunner

cutrunner Cert. Yamaha technician

when boat engines break they dont fall out of the sky tho.. lol

11. firecat1981

firecat1981 BBA Counselor

That is the absolute truth! We've responded to quite a few redbirds. One common theme on the "experimental" planes is they often use converted car motors because they are much less expensive, and it shows :eek:.

Personally, and this is really only my opinion, I look at outboards the same way I buy a car. I would rather have a car with 150k miles on it with the original drivetrain that still functions well and has good compression, then a car with 80k miles and a rebuilt engine.
    For a few reasons, first you never know how well the motor might have been rebuilt, or who did it, and I personally believe it's hard to beat the factory. Also if a car has high miles but is in great condition then that means it was taken care of. The car with 80k miles may have less mileage, but might have been dogged around which means other parts will fail soon too.
    Rebuild it on the cheap and sell it, or use it, but I wouldn't do it to make a profit. Just my $0.02.