Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a saltwater reel and line that will balance well on my Scott Meridian 9wt', which will primarily be used for Permit. Thank you.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I recently picked up 9wt Meridian. I really love this rod. I hung the Ross Evolution R Salt 9/10 on it with Wulff Triangle Taper Saltwater Intermediate (I'm up north). Ross says the reel is 8oz. This setup balances really well for me.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I have tried my Meridians with about every combination of reels and lines and it handles them all. It really comes down to the type of fishing YOU are doing. Just saying “Permit” is too ambiguous. What kind of permit fishing? Large or small flies, weighted or unweighted, deep or shallow water, etc. Narrow that down and then look for a taper that fits. Also, Rio makes a Permit line which is great.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Scott has on their website line recommendations. This and an interview with Jim B of Scott (with April V), their basic message is that they design them for true line weights, so do you do not need to over-weight them.

Now, I just complete the line game with Airflo, RIO, Cortland, et cetera for my 8wt and I found what I like best was not an over weight line. Yes, it can handle a RIO Quickshooter and a Airflo Tropic Punch, but accuracy and line presentations (prefer by wife and I) was the Cortland Tropic Bonefish and then the RIO Bonefish. This was with a 12' leader to 10# with a bead-chain weighted eye onto the water, target casting.

Mileage will vary, depending on leader, how you want to present, et cetera, but the rod is forgiving and I would start with classic line.

I also prefer a line that I can pickup quickly and recast, so a longer rear taper.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I know it’s not really an answer to your question.... but I wanted to put in a plug for the new Scientific Anglers amplitude lines. I’ve had my share of Rio and airflow with some good results, other frustrating aspects about the lines/coatings but the new SA stuff is great. Fished the tropical titan on my loomis 12 wt tarpon fishing and for that rod and situation it was the finest line I’ve ever had.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Many good reel options, but for me personally, I'd be looking at one of the following- Hatch 7+, Abel SDS 9/10, or Ross Evolution R Salt 9/10. My 9 weight Meridian is paired with a Hatch 7+.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I have sa mastery grand slam on a galvan torque for my 9wt meridian. I saw the video raspberrypatch mentioned and decided to play with that idea on my 12wt meridian, which also had the grand slam. What I found by switching to cortland guide then ultimately cortland tarpon taper was that yes indeed the control and presentation improves by going back to true to weight lines (gs-3/4 heavy, guide-1/2 heavy, tarpon-true).

Thinking okay, now I've cracked the code I went to the cortland line on the 6wt meridian as well. Awesome, right? Then I started using weighted flies with that combo and wasn't happy. The fly was in control, if you will. Switched back to grand slam and voila, perfect.

So what I find is the weight of the fly (as one major factor) will help dictate the line choice. Given that many permit flies I know of are weighted with lead eyes I'd be likely to pair my 9 weight meridian with the grand slam (or similar) line for permit fishing.

·
Registered
91 Posts
So what I find is the weight of the fly (as one major factor) and leader will help dictate the line choice. Given that many permit flies I know of are weighted with lead eyes I'd be likely to pair my 9 weight meridian with the grand slam (or similar) line for permit fishing.
Consider .....
* Weight of fly + bulk and leader. Casting just a flyline will mislead you. With the fly and leader, you will validate the roll-out of the fly.
* How much head you want to have out when you let go. You do not want to false cast to 40' before release, as you waste too much time. Unless fishing in short, you do not want to load short and release a mile of running line as you lose accuracy.
* Rear taper, if you want to support long recasting

·
Registered
91 Posts
Years ago, the answer was to step up to a heavier rod and line size when the flies became troublesome to cast. That is still a good answer today.
Also consider the leader, e.g. stiffness and length taper ratio. Increase stiffness in butt and mid-section, and if necessary reduce length

·
Registered
194 Posts
I used the air flow for a it as well - great for shot at LA bull reds but for me I struggled with delicate presentations at longer distances and preferred the rio permit for chasing bones in FL and Belize.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1820 Action Craft
815 Posts
I used the air flow for a it as well - great for shot at LA bull reds but for me I struggled with delicate presentations at longer distances and preferred the rio permit for chasing bones in FL and Belize.
Agree, if I was just targeting bones I would use a longer bonefish taper.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts