Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw some skinny water reds while fishing yesterday and went back today and hooked two fish. First one I had no line left so I trout set it and the hook pulled.... rookie mistake.....
I caught the second one. About 18-19 inches so it was small... BUT a red on the fly is still epic.
I sight fished them off a paddleboard in very skinny water. All of the fish followed the fly for so long before eating.

Attachments

·
Registered
252 Posts
I'm close...

I've finally gotten quiet enough, have had a handful of decent shots at happy fish, and have had some follows, but just not a hookup yet.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hardest part is spotting the fish and making a good cast before you get blown around by the wind. I recently got a small mushroom anchor so I stop running into the problem of getting blown around and spooking the fish. I don't have any good water to pole on a paddle board around me. As long as you find fish and can stay stationary you are set.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Getting a cast off before getting blown into or by the fish is the biggest issue I have- makes for some pretty interesting moments trying to get it all done in time - thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Getting a cast off before getting blown into or by the fish is the biggest issue I have- makes for some pretty interesting moments trying to get it all done in time - thanks for the tip.
It's a very hard thing to do but catching one is so worth it!

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,504 Posts
Mushroom anchors are a must if you are going the SUP / canoe route.

Keep it between your feet until its time to slip it over the side when you need to stop.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have been trying to figure out a way to quickly set my paddle down to sight cast without making any noise. I always have the problem of having to hold my paddle while casting to a fish. I can’t set it down without it making a loud noise. Any tips?

·
Registered
252 Posts
I found a tip on the internet that worked for me. Tie a loop of rope, just big enough to stick the T of the handle through, to your belt or a belt loop.

When you’re ready to cast, just stick the T through the loop, and let the paddle trail behind you.

When you’re ready to paddle again it’s right there at your hand.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
211 Posts
That's pretty much what I do. I have a rubber bungee strap with a loop on one end and a carabiner clip. i rest the paddle foot on the board and then clip it in near my hip, and grab my rod.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts