Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Fly Fishing Shaman
6,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well known ms Fly Fishing forum member "Backbone" and I went this morning to find some reds to play with on the flyrod. Air and water temps couldn't have been better. Bluebird Florida winter day, starting out in the low 70's and working to the upper 70's at high noon. Water temps were nice, in the low 70's. It was slow going 1st thing in the morning but as the tides eased up on the flats, the reds pushed in and starting following the mullet schools for something the mullet stirred up.

I was up on the poling platform on his sweet HB Professional and Backbone was was up on the casting platform. After a few good shots at some reds pushing thru, this fat boy came in to view. I called it out to Backbone and he threw the most perfect 60ft cast that you could ask for and drop the fly right on the fishes nose.... and he ate it! Nice eat for sure and the fish was full of it, pealing a decent amount of line off the Abel's spool a few times with some good authority. The cool 70+ degree water temps and fresh clear incoming, oxygen enriched saltwater kept that fish in high gear.

Backbone had a nice self land, quick pic and a nice release, where the fish was in a hurry to leave and join the others.

Notice the blue tipped tail. That perfect spot was the same on both sides!

We both had more shots at nice lots of nice redfish and big snook, than we both deserved. But for some reason, either they didn't like our ugly flies ( Lol ) or they had lock jaw for the rest of the afternoon. All in all, it was a great day on the water. :cool:

Ted Haas

·
Fly Fishing Shaman
6,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the report Ted. Good that you got out on a nice day. Send some nice weather to Texas.
Steve, I know you don't want to hear this, but..... it's been nice all fall and winter this year, almost like today, tho some days were windy. This same thing happened last year and we never saw any real cold up until late January.

Today's it's high 70's, winds 5 mph, water temps are 72 degrees, not a cloud in the sky and the sky is as blue bird of a day as it could ever get! I'm in shorts, a t-shirt, flip flops and all the sliding glass doors are open in the house! Fishing tomorrow! I get real cranky if I'm not doing some sort of fishing at least 1 or 2 times a week! ;)

·
I Love Skinny Water
6,066 Posts
Its going to be 34 here in the morning. So I am taking my bird dog out to see if we can find some birds. I'd rather have 70 and be in Tampa

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
All you guys whining about your "cold" weather...lol

Its almost 11 am and its warmed up to -3. Damn I am ready to get out of here.

·
I Love Skinny Water
6,066 Posts
All you guys whining about your "cold" weather...lol

Its almost 11 am and its warmed up to -3. Damn I am ready to get out of here.
That's too cold to even hook up your boat to leave

Reactions: ifsteve

·
Fly-By-Night
3,174 Posts
Agree, Ice belongs in a glass of tea!

I've got to go to Duluth (not the one in GA) this coming Wed........ Not looking fwd to it lol

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
That's too cold to even hook up your boat to leave
You got that right. I don't let them come up here anymore. I make them stay home in MS. :D They hate me when I leave but then I send them pictures from up here and they love me for it in the end.

Just for reference.....and I sure as heck hope we get out of here by Tuesday or Wednesday because we have a monster cold front coming in Wednesday. Lows for a couple of nights with the wind chill in the -35 to -50 range. EFF that!!!!!!!

·
I Love Skinny Water
6,066 Posts
Its going to be 34 here in the morning. So I am taking my bird dog out to see if we can find some birds. I'd rather have 70 and be in Tampa

Took my girl out on Friday. 34 degrees with a gusting 30 MPH wind. I don't want to calculate the wind chill. I had on long underwear and layers including a buff around my neck plus a wind coat. The first couple of birds she found hit the wind and were gone before I could get the gun up. Then I had a couple of going away birds that are much easier shots
She's a German Shorthair I am trying to breed but have not found the right guy yet

Yes I love bird hunting and so do my grandsons but my first love is warm blue water with fish in it

1 - 18 of 18 Posts